Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Visual Studio 2012, New Project

Vote:

Please help, I am having loads of problems trying to create a new VS2012 project, I can easily use EPiServer Deployment Center to create a new site and database, no problem, but then I wouldn't be able to easily manage the site with VS.

I am trying to create a new VS2012 Project, following instruction, however installation failed stating it requires IIS Express.(I already have IIS installed, why do I need IIS Express?).

I installed IIS Express, now I am recieving another error related to SQL.

"Error - A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

installed

• Windows 7 SP1
  • IIS 7
  • SQL Server 2013
  • VS2012 Pro
  • Visual Studio Integration Extension
  • EPiServer Deployment Center

Jun 28, 2013 17:22
Vote:

What excatly you mean by "but then I wouldn't be able to easily manage the site with VS"?

After you create EPiServer sample site (AlloyTech for instance) via Deployment Center on target location is .csproj file.

By opening .csproj file you are pretty at the same stage with managing your project with Visual Studio. You may of course that re-order aa project a bit (for instance, re-reference dependencies via NuGet, etc) but that's up to your subjective taste :)

Jun 28, 2013 21:14
Vote:

Second error message is telling you that EPiServer was not able to find or connect to SQL server. You chould check your connectionStrings.config file and verify that configured SQL server exists and mentioned user can login.

Jun 30, 2013 21:53
Vote:

I think the EPiServer new project template checks for a SQLExpress named instance or a default named instance. If you have named your database instance to something else, the script won't be able to find it.

Jul 01, 2013 9:41
Vote:

You do not need a full version av SQL server to run episerver on your machine, but you can have both sqlexpress and full version at the samte time. So I would sugest you install the express version as well. EPiServer template use the built in iis express to start in when running in vs. You could use ordinary IIS if you like but you have to manually set that after installation.

I you manage to get your tempalte from episerver but it fails on the databse installation you could add a empty database with deployment center as well.

Jul 01, 2013 10:53
Vote:

@Valdis Iljuconoks

"easily manage the site with VS" as in having the folder and file structure readily available within VS Solution explorer.

I did try to open the.csproj file, however VS2012 states that it does not support the project type.

Edited, Jul 01, 2013 13:27
Vote:

@Toni,

Thanks, I create a new instace title "SQLExpress"

Jul 01, 2013 13:32
Vote:

Thanks @Eric, I thought the installation would have been easier.

Not off to a very good start here.

Jul 01, 2013 13:34
Vote:

The project-file that comes with alloy is compatible with vs2012 you just need to upgrade it probably but that is done by vs it self. If you install a site with VS integration you will not get any templates just an empty episerver solution. So if you like to look at code done by others you need to install a site with deployment center.

Jul 01, 2013 15:42
Vote:

@Peter what VS version are you using to open project?

Jul 01, 2013 20:34
Vote:

@Valdis using VS2012 Pro

Jul 02, 2013 9:45
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.