Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Copying content

Vote:

Can someone tell me how to copy content between Episerver 7 instances?

I would like to know how people manage UAT when doing an episerver implementation?  Although all content changes will be managed on the live server after the sites go "live", how is the content managed while in development?

Does the import/export functionallity allow the migration of content as well as templates etc?  Or do I ned to set up a one time mirroring job to move the content between servers?

thanks

Jun 11, 2013 11:18
Vote:

Import/Export will include content as well. Mirroring is basically the same as automated export/import.

Jun 11, 2013 11:47
Vote:

Regarding your question about import/export and templates the answer is no.

The templates are still physical files on your harddrive. The only thing exported are paths to your .aspx-file if you're using WebForms or what Controller is responsible for this Page Type if you're using MVC.

Is it a one time only-copy you want to do or something that is run to keep a sync?

Jun 11, 2013 12:30
Vote:

Thanks - My goal is to export content (as in pages) and the associated files. (images etc)

It would be an initial one time only copy - to promote the site to production, then the staging server would be used to manage changes (with the copy happening nightly).

If I set up mirroring, can the services be hosted under SSL, while the site is normal http?

Jun 11, 2013 19:12
Vote:

The most common way I've seen is to backup and restore the database and VPP files from your test/stage server to your live server.

And when you want to backstage (copy from live to test, stage and development you do the same but the other direction.

Given that you can replace everything and don't have content you want to save.

Edit

Sorry I think I missunderstood your intent with the environments.

I don't have that much experience with mirroring and if it's a good idea to use it for that purpose.

Edited, Jun 11, 2013 19:25
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.