Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Install extension in VS Express?

Vote:

I installed Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web, but I can't install the Episerver extension. When I search for extensions in VS, the Episerver extension doesn't appear. I downloaded the extention from Epi's website, but how do I install it into VS after I downloaded it?

A little help getting started would really be great. Thanks!

May 20, 2013 20:29
Vote:

You should be able to just double click and run the extensions pack. You will find the extenstion templates when you create a new project in vs. Also you can download and install from http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/4ad95160-e72f-4355-b53e-0994d2958d3e or inside vs in the extension manager. Make sure you search i web and you will find it.

May 20, 2013 20:47
Vote:

No, that's for Visual Studio. I need help installing the extension for Visual Studio Express for Web. The names of the two products are similar, but extensions for one will not work with the other. When I search for the Epi extension in VS Express, I can't see it. When I download the extension from Epi's website, I get a zip file with text files in it, but no install program, no executables of any kind.

I'm stuck.

May 21, 2013 14:56
Vote:

Hello,

Did you try this link: http://world.episerver.com/Download/Items/EPiServer-CMS/EPiServer-7---CMS/EPiServer-CMS-Visual-Studio-Extension---For-Visual-Studio-Express-for-Web/ ?

You should get a file named EPiServerVsExtensionForExpressSKU.vsix

Edited, May 22, 2013 9:13
Vote:

I downloaded that file, but it's a ZIP archive, containing these files:

_rels
ItemTemplates
package
ProjectTemplates
[Content_Types].xml
EpiServer.VsIntegration.dll
extension.vsixmanifest
License.rtf
Package.ico
Preview.png

No installer, no executable. I'm stuck. How do I get that into VS?

May 22, 2013 13:48
Vote:

It looks like the extensions installer is not associated with VSIX files. 

Check if you have a file named VSIXInstaller.exe in the same folder where the Visual Studio Express is insatlled (normally it should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE). If you have it, you can use it to install VSIX files by passing a path to the extension file as a command line parameter: VSIXInstaller.exe EPiServerVsExtensionForExpressSKU.vsix

May 22, 2013 14:35
Vote:

It could be that there is a problem with file associations, but I still don't have a VSIX file, I don't have a file called EPiServerVsExtensionForExpressSKU.vsix  :-(

May 22, 2013 15:02
Vote:

Well, VSIX actually is a ZIP file. Could you try to change the file extension and try to install it either by double clicking on it or with VSIXinstaller.exe ?

May 22, 2013 15:20
Vote:

That solved it. After I changed the extension of the zip file to vsix, the system recognized it, and I was able to double-click and install it into Visual Studio. Thanks for your help.

May 22, 2013 15:39
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.