Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Creating a new site in multisite environment programmatically

Vote:

Hi,

Is there a way to create a new site and set the needed configuration properties programmatically?

In addition, is there a way to create block folders under global library folder programmatically?

Cheers,

May 17, 2013 6:10
Vote:

The short answer is yes and yes :-)

Perhaps the easiest way to create a site programatically is to use the helper classes in EPiServer.UI (that is what is used if you in admin mode creates a new site from "Site Information" under tab Config). The class to use is EPiServer.UI.Admin.SiteMgmt.SiteInformationHandler and method AddSiteSetting. If you do not want to take a dependency to EPiServer.UI you can work against configruation classes also.

To create a folder under global library you can do something like:

var contentFolder = Locate.ContentRepository().GetDefault<ContentFolder>(ContentReference.GlobalBlockFolder);
contentFolder.Name = "MyFolder";
Locate.ContentRepository().Save(contentFolder, SaveAction.Publish);

May 17, 2013 10:26
Vote:

Thanks for the info - i did find the SiteInformationHandler after reflecting a few dll's, but thank you anyhow!

Cheers for the block info aswell!

May 17, 2013 10:37
Vote:

One additional question regarding Site creation programmatically/manually:

Is there a way to define the siteDisplayName property programmatically/manuall that resides under episerver.config file? I am using the SiteInformationHandler.AddSiteSetting to create the site and it works perfectly. However i haven't been able to find a way to change the siteDisplayName of any site unless i change it manually from episerver.config. The property seems to be "inherited" based on the site you've logged in. Let's say that i have:

SiteID: "SiteA", siteDisplayName: "Name of site A"

SiteID: "SiteB", siteDisplayName: "Name of site B"

I log on to SiteA and create a new site called "SiteC". The siteDisplayName property will be "Name of site A".

Thanks in advance - I know that there is a way (crossing fingers) ;)

Edited, May 21, 2013 6:03
Vote:

Any possible updates on the latest question?

May 27, 2013 9:15
Vote:

To do this you need to work with the configuration classes. You can set the value on Settings configuration element and then persist the value with help of EPiServer.Framework.Configuration.GlobalConfigurationManager.

May 27, 2013 9:41
Vote:

You mean something like this?

// Add host setting 
                List<HostSetting> hostSettings = new List<HostSetting>();
                HostSetting hostSetting = new HostSetting();
                hostSetting.SiteHost = "http://" + siteUrl;
                hostSetting.Language = "fi";

hostSettings.Add(hostSetting);

// Create a new multisite to the current instance
                SiteInformationHandler.AddSiteSetting(siteName, "http://" + siteUrl, newSite.ID, hostSettings, false);
                //EPiServer.Configuration.Settings.MapUrlToSettings(new Uri("http://" + siteUrl)).SiteDisplayName = siteName;
                EPiServer.Configuration.Settings confSettings = EPiServer.Configuration.Settings.MapUrlToSettings(new Uri("http://" + siteUrl));
                confSettings.SiteDisplayName = siteName;
                confSettings.EnableSavingOfConfigurationToDatabase = true;

System.Configuration.Configuration conf = confSettings.CurrentConfiguration;

GlobalConfigurationManager.Save(conf, RestartMode.None);

May 27, 2013 11:12
Vote:

Hi Jonathan I tried the code you suggested but I get an error of  "The configuration file has been changed by another program." 

Seems the episerver.config file gets locked by the SiteInformationHandler.  It doesn't implement IDispose either so I haven't been able to get this working. 

Aug 16, 2013 23:55
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.