Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Upgrade to patch 1 problems

Vote:

Hi, 

We're trying to upgrade an EPiServer 7 CMS instance to patch 1, but are running into some assembly binding problems.

I've installed the new NuGet packages for EPiServer.Core, EPiServer.CommonFramework, EPiServer.Framework and EPiServer.Mail, and followed the find/replace instructions here.

When I rebuild and start a clean Alloy test site I get some assembly loading problems from NHibernate and/or Castle, long stack trace below. I tried installing newer NHibernate and Castle via NuGet, but that just caused more problems as they are the wrong versions for the rest of the code.

We're at the start of a project, so could easily reinstall the whole EPiServer instance with a patched installer if that is the best approach. Thanks!

[ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. The following information may be a subset of the Type/LoaderException information present - inspect with debugger for complete view.
 Check assemblies [NHibernate, Version=1.2.0.4000, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa95f207798dfdb4] and/or types [NHibernate.Util.AssemblyQualifiedTypeName,
 NHibernate.Tuple.Property,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.IUniqueKeyLoadable,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.IEntityPersister,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.ILoadable,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.ISqlLoadable,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.IPropertyMapping,
 NHibernate.Persister.Entity.IJoinable,
 NHibernate.Persister.Collection.ICollectionPersister,
 NHibernate.Persister.Collection.IQueryableCollection,
 NHibernate.Persister.Collection.ISqlLoadableCollection,
 NHibernate.Loader.IEntityAliases,
 NHibernate.Loader.DefaultEntityAliases,
 NHibernate.HibernateException,
 NHibernate.MappingException,
 NHibernate.InvalidProxyTypeException,
 NHibernate.Hql.Util.SessionFactoryHelper,
 NHibernate.Hql.IQueryTranslator,
 NHibernate.Expression.ICriterion,
 NHibernate.Expression.AbstractCriterion]. Information from LoaderExceptions property [Could not load file or assembly 'Castle.DynamicProxy, Version=1.1.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=407dd0808d44fbdc' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.].]
   EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.Initialize(HostType hostType) +792
   EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType) +104
   EPiServer.Global..ctor() +110
   EPiServer.Templates.Alloy.Global..ctor() +40
   ASP.global_asax..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\b3630d7c\9cd5fe62\App_global.asax.0.cs:0

Feb 04, 2013 0:50
Vote:

Hi,

Can you confirm whether you had deployed all the products for which you attempted to install updates?

Ie, if you really had a clean Alloy site (with no Community or Mail installed) the updates that are compatible would be the EPiServer.CMS.Core and EPiServer.Framework packages.

Feb 04, 2013 10:41
Vote:

Hi,

I have now managed to get the patch to install and run correctly on an Alloy site, there were a couple of important points:

1. As you suggested, I did not have those extra components installed, but did update them via NuGet as it was unclear which ones should be updated. For a clean Alloy site I installed via NuGet ONLY EPiServer.Framework 7.0.859.4 then EPiServer.CMS.Core 7.0.586.4. Perhaps there is some incompatibility introduced by adding those extra packages.
  2. When doing the search and replace of assembly references in configuration files as per the installation instructions, these should only be done for the Framework and CMS version numbers, in \web.config and \[Configuration]\EPiServer\Web.config. Initially my search and replace had also changed version numbers in the \Program Files (x86)\ directory reference which caused various things to break.

Hopefully these steps might help someone else if they have the same problems.

Feb 05, 2013 0:52
Vote:

Hi Andy,

Regarding 2, I will add that to the article. Thanks for pointing it out.

The instructions can definitely improve but we do mention 1 already in the introduction of the installation artcile. "Note that the technique described here cannot be used for adding a new EPiServer component dependency to a project (without additional work). If for instance you want to add community support to a project, adding just the Community and Common Framework components will not work since that will not add necessary configuration and database changes to you project."

Thanks,

Feb 05, 2013 7:36
Vote:

Hi,

Adding the extra component via NuGet is just inexperience with EPiServer on my part. Framework sounded like something I needed, so I added it.

I'm sure you guys have some kind of patch installation tool on the wish list that would update the right things in the right places :)

Andy

Feb 05, 2013 23:13
Vote:

Hi! I also have a problem after installing EPIServer 7 patch1. I installed it with NuGet into MVC project. After renaming reference versions in config, I am able to run ste. However, in CMS Edtit mode I am getting blank page. No errors, no exceptions.

Feb 06, 2013 11:26
Vote:

When you say no errors, no exceptions, does that mean no client side errors either? Normally when things turn white in the Edit UI you can typically find errors in the browser console (Firebug / Chrome or IE developer tools etc).

Feb 06, 2013 15:25
Vote:

All ok except I cannot update CMO

http://world.episerver.com/Modules/Forum/Pages/Thread.aspx?id=66010

Feb 18, 2013 15:01
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.