Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

No I don't want it to show on mobile

Vote:

Hi,

Haven't had much time to look at EPiServer 7, but I have started experimenting with display channels and blocks a bit. 

I have a question concerning rendering. 

If I have a block or page containing something and I only want it to be displayed/rendered in a certain channel. 
As an example;

I don't want a block or page to be rendered if surfing the site on a mobile phone?

Is it possible? How would I do that? 
I know I can have diffrent templates for diffrent channels, but what if I don't want it to render at all on a mobile phone?

:-)

Feb 28, 2013 12:45
Vote:

You could have a separate renderer for the channel (could make sense for blocks), and just not render anything. But this is not so much a technical question, it is more conceptual. Would you rather return 404 for the page if requested on mobile?

Display Channels let you vary rendering - if you want. It does not have to, but you need to think what you would do instead.

/Steve

Feb 28, 2013 13:30
Vote:

I see. Yes, pages doesn't make sense at all. I didn't really think that through. I'm just trying to understand how I can use channels to make a mobileversion lighter. Maybe I have a few web-specific blocktypes that I never want to render on a mobile?

Feb 28, 2013 13:50
Vote:

If you don't want the block to render, create a renderer for it, but keep it empty. For 7.1, you can also use personalization to do this, as you can use visitor groups on blocks.

Feb 28, 2013 14:53
Vote:

Thank you for the answers :-)

Feb 28, 2013 14:56
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.