Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServer Search

Vote:

I'm trying to get the basic editor search feature to work, you know the search boxes over both the pages tree and the shared blocks tree.

All I get returned is "Content Not Found"

I installed the EPiServer.Seach nuget package, which I see downloaded the EPiServer.Search.IndexingService.dll and referenced it from the project.

My web.config looks like this :

<episerver.search active="true">
    <namedIndexingServices defaultService="serviceName">
      <services>
        <!--<add name="{serviceName}" baseUri="{indexingServiceBaseUri}" accessKey="{accessKey}"/>-->
        <add name="serviceName" baseUri="http://localhost:37003/IndexingService/IndexingService.svc" accessKey="local" />
      </services>
    </namedIndexingServices>
    <searchResultFilter defaultInclude="true">
      <providers />
    </searchResultFilter>
  </episerver.search>
  <location path="modulesbin">
    <system.web>
      <authorization>
        <deny users="*" /> 
      </authorization>
    </system.web>
  </location>
  <episerver.packaging protectedVirtualPath="~/EPiServer/" />
  <episerver.search.indexingservice>
    <clients>
      <!--add name="example" description="example" ipAddress="127.0.0.1/8,192.168.0.0/24" ip6Address="" allowLocal="true|false" readonly="true|false" /-->
      <add name="local" description="local" allowLocal="true" readonly="false" />
    </clients>
    <namedIndexes defaultIndex="default">
      <indexes>
        <add name="default" directoryPath="[appDataPath]\Index" readonly="false" />
      </indexes>
    </namedIndexes>
  </episerver.search.indexingservice>
  <location path="IndexingService/IndexingService.svc">
    <system.web>
      <httpRuntime maxQueryStringLength="65536" />
    </system.web>
    <system.webServer>
      <security>
        <requestFiltering>
          <requestLimits maxQueryString="65536" />
        </requestFiltering>
      </security>
    </system.webServer>
  </location>

My "[appDataPath]\Index" folder does exist but it is empty.

I do not have an "IndexingService/IndexingService.svc" file in my project.

Surely this search feature in the CMS editor should come out of the box and not require installing any other dlls or much configuration ?

Oct 04, 2013 11:27
Vote:

Did you see the post http://sveinaandahl.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-to-install-episerver-search-for.html ?

Oct 04, 2013 11:48
Vote:

Yes I did see that,

However I have not yet deployed the site to IIS. I am still developing and debugging with IISExpress.

Plus it seems odd to have to go installing a separate component just to get the search feature to work in the CMS editor.

I would have thought it would come out the box with that feature since the search boxes appear out of the box ?

Oct 04, 2013 12:58
Vote:

FYI,

I downloaded the EPiServer.Search package from nuget and added the IndexingService/IndexingService.svc in my project.

<%@ ServiceHost Language="C#" Debug="false" Service="EPiServer.Search.IndexingService.IndexingService" Factory="IndexingServiceHostFactory" %>

using System.ServiceModel;
using System.ServiceModel.Activation;

public class IndexingServiceHostFactory : WebServiceHostFactory
{
    protected override ServiceHost CreateServiceHost(System.Type serviceType, System.Uri[] baseAddresses)
    {
        var host = base.CreateServiceHost(serviceType, baseAddresses);

WebHttpBinding binding = new WebHttpBinding("IndexingServiceCustomBinding");
        var endpoint = host.AddServiceEndpoint(typeof(EPiServer.Search.IndexingService.IIndexingService), binding, "");

return host;
    }
}

Now it appears to have build some sort of index in the [appDataPath]\Index folder and I can search and find content in the CMS searches.

However I'm confused as to why searching for page with a term such as "Crown" doesn't return a page named "Crowne Plaza.." ?

Only when I add the 'e', as in search for "Crowne" then it returns as part of the results ?

Pressumably this is a Lucene question ? but has anyone experienced the same and know of any solution ?

thanks

Oct 11, 2013 9:18
This thread is locked and should be used for reference only. Please use the Episerver CMS 7 and earlier versions forum to open new discussions.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.