Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Sorting pages alphabetically vs. swedish letters

Vote:

Hi

Is there a way to have sort order alphabetically considering Swedish letters? At the moment we have SV as default language, page structure is created in Swedish but pages starting with Å, Ä or Ö get sorted as letters are A or O instead of being put at the end of the list.

Mar 31, 2008 13:35
Vote:

What EPiServer version is this related to?

Apr 01, 2008 8:39
Vote:

5.1.422.122 (SP1)
Apr 02, 2008 9:06
Vote:

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think this issue is related to the collation on the SQL database. The sorting works as it should on my sample installation with collation set to Danish_Norwegian_CS_AS.
Apr 02, 2008 12:16
Vote:

Mari thanks for answering.

I've been trying to change collation on the existing database. When I ALTER the DB to change collation to Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS

ALTER DATABASE episerver_intranet_svd_mogul_se COLLATE Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS
 it seems not to be affecting the existing data. I found a way to sort objects by altering the Name column
ALTER TABLE dbo.tblPage
ALTER COLUMN [Name] NVARCHAR(255)
COLLATE Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS

and the sorting woks correctly but it deleting object raises an exception. After that I tried to set both, collation of the database and then collation of this column but still the same exception when deleting a page:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS" in the UNION operation.  
So it's obvious that changing collation on the database didn't affect everything for existing objects.
I wonder two things. Is it possible to change collation on existing database 
or it must be done while installing the fresh one. And also more important
issue is if sorting feature is tied to database collation, how does multilanguage
support handles the sorting? For example if user switch to English, and collation
is  Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS he would still get "non-english" sort order, right?

Edited, Apr 10, 2008 9:25
Vote:

Hi Milos,

About your error message, we have an old faq about that problem that might be worth looking on,

http://www.episerverworld.com/FAQ/Items/Cannot-resolve-collation-conflict-for-UNION-operation/

Apr 10, 2008 11:11
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.