Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Best practice Cart or Order

Vote:

Hi community!

I have a question what the best practice would be in my case.
I have not worked with Commerce too long and i need some input from someone more experienced.

I have a case where we have dealers.
-Dealer is always logged in!

-The dealers will use a tablet to configure a product with the client.

-Once this is done the dealer will send the configuration to himself as a csv file.

-And an email to the customer with a link to the configuration of the product.

-In the "Configurator-App" the dealer is supposed to see history of all the configurations he has done.

-The link to the configuration is supposed to live "forever".

-When the client clicks the link, he is not supposed to be able to edit the configuration (maybe in the future). Just see his configuration.

-when the dealer clicks edit, on one of the history items, he is supposed to be able to edit it and send a new csv to him and
update the configuration so that when the client clicks the link again he sees the updated configuration.

Now, since the order is never "finilized" in Commerce but in a other system (if the client decides to buy). What is the best case in this case?
Should i ever convert the cart to order and keep a status "not finilized", should i keep the cart as cart?

Any ideas and tips much appriciated.

If you do not feel like writing an answer :-) 
I am available on radoslaw.szymanski@tieto.com (skype for business)

Jun 14, 2019 9:35
Vote:

Hello Radoslaw

The link that the customer clicks on, does it go to your Commerce site?

If the customer confirms the order on the Commerce site, I would definitely convert the cart to an order and initiate the order fullfillment in your backend systems.

I would also bump the order state from In-Progress to Shipped when the customer confirms the order. Because even though you may do order fulfillment in another system, you do initiate it from Commerce.

By using the different order states in Commerce, reporting gets much more usable. And if you want to make an order history page for the customer, you can base it on those Commerce orders.

Jun 16, 2019 6:59
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.