Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Commerce Page edit button takes you to the CMS section instead of Catalog - Episerver Commerce Nuget (v11.8.2)

Vote:

We have been developing a commerce site and have run into a small issue.

When you are viewing the website and go to a product page with the CMS logged in, you can click the epi button in the top right to edit the page.

If you click on this it takes you to the CMS section for the variation rather than the catalog section for the Variation. This means that if the CMS editor wanted to edit some information and then look at something else in the catalog, they would need to change to the commerce tab from the CMS tab within the CMS.

Is this a known bug or is there a way around this?

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2018 16:19
Vote:

No that is not something we are aware of. If you check out quicksilver, then if you view a catalog content and click on Edit button, you should be directed to the Catalog UI, for example

http://commerceref/episerver/CMS/?language=sv#context=epi.cms.contentdata:///418__CatalogContent&viewsetting=viewlanguage:///sv

One possible explanation is that the user only has CMS edit rights? Can you test with an Admin account ?

Mar 12, 2018 16:34
Vote:

Hey Quan

I thought the behavior (going to CMS edit) was by design. I've never been taken the catalog UI when hitting the epi button when viewing a product, only ever to the CMS UI (it does target the product/variant/node but its still within the Episerver UI). Tested in every version of Quicksilver ever ;)

David

Mar 12, 2018 20:35
Vote:

@David,: The UI you mentioned is Catalog UI. It is not "fair" to call it CMS UI.

If you consider Commerce Manager Catalog Management = catalog UI, then no, we don't do that. Why would we when we already spent that much time developing Catalog UI?

Mar 12, 2018 22:22
Vote:

Hey Quan 

Appreciate it’s a the catalogue UI :). I think Steven meant going to the commerce context in the UI. So all the gadgets in panels would show the catalog structure etc and not the page tree. 

David

Mar 12, 2018 23:19
Vote:

Fair enough. Now you mentioned it, yes, that's the mixed UI actually ...

The fastest way to get to Catalog UI is to click on the drop down menu and select Commerce, that would lead you to the true Catalog UI.

I'm honestly not sure if the mixed UI is the intended design, or a limitation ... It does not seem to be a perfect behavior to me. I'll check with the team tomorrow. 

Mar 12, 2018 23:26
Vote:

At a guess I’d say the epi button uses PageEditing.GetEditUrl(contentLink) which perhaps isn’t commerce aware so always returns the CMS context even though it targets the commerce entity once loaded. 

Mar 12, 2018 23:37
Vote:

I think where it is a little disjointed is when you're in the context of the catalog we have other gadget views and obviously the catalog browser shown on the left. Also usually when your navigating in the commerce catalog through links (such as belongs to) you're still maintain the context on being in the commerce catalog. 

Then with CMS items when on the front end if you click the epi button you navigate straight to the item and the page navigation gadget expands to the correct location, with commerce items as it doesn't do this your not always obviously away what category/node you're in in the catalog gadget as you are within the CMS items and you might want to after navigating move to the conext of those parents/related nodes/items.

Edited, Mar 13, 2018 9:49
Vote:

<div class="blockQuote"> <div class="borderBottom"><a href="/forum/developer-forum/Episerver-Commerce/Thread-Container/2018/3/commerce-page-edit-button-takes-you-to-the-cms-section-instead-of-catalog---episerver-commerce-nuget-v11.8.2/recommerce-page-edit-button-takes-you-to-the-cms-section-instead-of-catalog---episerver-commerce-nuget-v11.86.2/">David Knipe said:</a></div> <p>At a guess I&rsquo;d say the epi button uses&nbsp;PageEditing.GetEditUrl(contentLink) which perhaps isn&rsquo;t commerce aware so always returns the CMS context even though it targets the commerce entity once loaded.&nbsp;</p> </div> <p>Probably. The thing is Commerce team would not have the power to fix this issue, alone.</p> <p>I filed a bug for this, in term that we have a place to discuss on improving the behavior. It will likely need a change from CMS UI team first - if they ever want to.&nbsp;</p>
Mar 13, 2018 9:57
Vote:

Thanks, let's hope the CMS UI team feel like it lol. Thanks for the reply/bug filing guys :-)

Mar 13, 2018 10:01
Vote:

I appreciate that you've said the main link isn't Commerce away, but it's worth noting that if you click the dropdown and select commerce it does maintain the link to the item and navigate as we would expect it to on the main link. The 2 links generated are

For now we can tell the clients to use the commerce dropdown link to keep the editing journey fluid

Edited, Mar 13, 2018 10:08
Vote:

<div class="blockQuote"> <div class="borderBottom"><a href="/forum/developer-forum/Episerver-Commerce/Thread-Container/2018/3/commerce-page-edit-button-takes-you-to-the-cms-section-instead-of-catalog---episerver-commerce-nuget-v11.8.2/recommerce-page-edit-button-takes-you-to-the-cms-section-instead-of-catalog---episerver-commerce-nuget-v11.85.2/">Quan Mai said:</a></div> <p>Fair enough. Now you mentioned it, yes, that's the mixed UI actually ...</p> <p>The fastest way to get to Catalog UI is to click on the drop down menu and select Commerce, that would lead you to the true Catalog UI.</p> <p>I'm honestly not sure if the mixed UI is the intended design, or a limitation ... It does not seem to be a perfect behavior to me. I'll check with the team tomorrow.&nbsp;</p> </div> <p>Yes I mentioned that in an earlier post&nbsp;</p>
Mar 13, 2018 10:12
Vote:

The behavior is now fixed (we had to wait for some changes from CMS Core and will be released in an upcoming version (12.1.1 or 12.2, but likely 12.2) :). Now clicking on epi menu would lead you to the Catalog UI (if the content is catalog content) or Marketing UI (if the content is a campaign or a promotion) 

Apr 26, 2018 11:46
Vote:

smile

Apr 26, 2018 12:06
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.