Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to change data type of meta field is already in use?

Vote:

I have a meta field declared as a ShortString in an already running Commerce solution. Now it turns out, that the type should have been LongString instead, and I therefore would like to change it from code (I create all Commerce meta fields from code on startup).

I see that the static class MetaField has a Delete and a Create method, but I don't want to remove the existing meta field and it's data from production. I merely want to do a change of the datatype from ShortString -> LongString. Thus I'm missing a method called something like MetaField.ChangeExisting(...).

Can this change of meta data type be done in a running solution?

Alternatively, I will have to create a new field of type LongString, and abandon the old field.

Edited, Nov 13, 2018 13:17
Vote:

No there is no way to do it. I would suggest to add new metafield (even better, new Property) then migrate data from the old one. You can probably write a scheduled job that iterate over the contents then copy the property over. After that you can drop the old property.

Nov 13, 2018 13:43
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.