Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Prevent pop up from appearing if user has previously filled it out

Vote:

Hi there,

We have a custom pop up that appears on our website which contains a Marketo form. At the moment the logic is rather dumb in that the pop up appears whether you have previously filled out the form or not.

I would like to make it a little less annoying by first checking if the user has previously filled it out i.e. if a specific Marketo cookie is present in the visitors browser and then not load the form.

I am looking for code examples of how best to achieve this and would really appreciate any tips, info, documentation. 

May 06, 2021 8:47
Vote:

It sounds like this a specifically down to your implementation of Marketo and how you've embedded/setup a Marketo form and the popup window in code TBH. Even if it was an Episerver Form it would be the same, so I'd try to find whatever JS code launches the popup and add in the cookie logic.

May 06, 2021 12:40
Vote:

Are you using the Marketo Marketing Automation connector? If yes, you may be able to create a Visitor Group based on whether or not they've completed that form before (I assume that info is saved in Marketo). Then you could use that Visitor Group in code to determine whether or not the pop-up should show.

May 10, 2021 15:03
EpiNewbie - May 17, 2021 9:59
Thank you for your suggestion. We are in fact using the Marketo Marketing Automation Connector. You would not happen to know of any documentation or have any guidance on how to go about setting this approach up? Specifically how would I go about setting up a Visitor Group based on whether users have filled out the form or not?
Vote:

Incase anyone is interested in how we solved this. We have modified the javascript code that implements our Marketo forms to set a cookie when the user has filled out all fields and clicked on submit.

We then modified the javascript code that fires our newsletter form to only fire if the cookie is not present.

Not a high-tech solution, but it gets the job done in a simple way for now that was good enough for all involved parties. 

Jul 26, 2021 12:25
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.