Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Dynamic change of the block property/ what is the best way

H F
H F
Vote:

Hello everyone,

Have a design question for you.

I have a bunch of the user pages based on a page class. When a user logged in, the menu item (block) appears that has the link to the specific to the user page. By clicking on the link, the user is able to load his profile for the editing. 

The menu block has a property of type 'ContentLink' with the name 'User Profile'.  On login event I have been thinking dynamically assign the menu property 'User Profile' with the content link to the corresponding user page, using 'CreateWritableClone()' for the menu block and changing the property. 

Snippet

AirMenuImageLinkBlock blockClone = menuLink.CreateWritableClone() as AirMenuImageLinkBlock;
blockClone.Link = userPage == null ? ContentReference.StartPage.GetFriendlyUrlAir() : userPage.GetFriendlyUrlAir();
contentRepository.Save((IContent)blockClone, EPiServer.DataAccess.SaveAction.Publish, EPiServer.Security.AccessLevel.Read);

But it does not seem to work. The menu block is not being updated with the corresponding link to the user's page. (by the way the code is located in MenuController)

In any way, may be I am overdoing it.  Any recommendations?  first to may be to do it differently, secondly how to make the dynamic change to the property of the block to work.

thanks for any suggestions,

HF

Edited, Jul 31, 2018 18:41
H F
Vote:

By the way, I like how the prifile data is organized in this forum. 

IF there is anyone that related to the design of this forum, (i assume it based on episerver), how do you guys went around it? 

Did you expand the profile section in the webconfig OR you actually extended 'ApplicationUser'  OR you have created your own 'UserProperties' page class?

thank you

Edited, Jul 31, 2018 20:22
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.