Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Does current AlloyDemoKit require SQL Local DB 2017?

Vote:

I am trying to bring up the most current version of the Alloy Demo Kit from GitHub to help with our upgrade from 10 to 11. 

I did all the steps in the wiki page using IISExpress. After making it past an error with CSC.exe needing to be copied to output, I now get an error about the database needing to be version 869. 

I am using Visual Studio 2017 15.9 so I'm not behind at all. What gives?

The database 'alloydemokit' cannot be opened because it is version 869. This server supports version 852 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'alloydemokit'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
Cannot attach the file 'C:\Users\MISOAdmin\Source\Repos\Alloy_Demo\src\AlloyDemoKit\App_Data\alloydemokit.mdf' as database 'alloydemokit'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The database 'alloydemokit' cannot be opened because it is version 869. This server supports version 852 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'alloydemokit'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
Cannot attach the file 'C:\Users\MISOAdmin\Source\Repos\Alloy_Demo\src\AlloyDemoKit\App_Data\alloydemokit.mdf' as database 'alloydemokit'.

Dec 03, 2018 21:21
Vote:

Hi Paul

Alloy Demo Kit does require SQL 2017 LocalDB. There is an older version of the database called EPiServerDB_aefc3fcd.mdf. You can reconfigure the connection string to use that instead and/or upgrade your LocalDB instance to SQL 2017.

David

Dec 03, 2018 21:36
Vote:

Installing SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is not the clearest thing to do if you are upgrading.

If you have an older version of SQL Server (like 2016) and install 2017, it will leave the LocalDB at the older version if you don't check the very hidden checkbox in the advanced install options.

I found myself in this case, and in the end the easiest way I found to update LocalDB to v14.x/852 is to follow the instructions in this page https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlmeditation/2018/03/05/functions-like-string_agg-concat_ws-trim-appear-to-break-in-visual-studio-2017-database-projects/ 

Jan 15, 2019 5:39
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.