Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to configure Siteseeker in development server

Vote:

Hello!

Can anyone tell me how to configure a new index for Siteseeker locally on our development server which can't be reached from internet?

In the examples I've seen this is done via siteseeker admin but since it's our local development server which doesn't have a public URL then I'm not sure how to do it.  Siteseeker is installed in the project via Nuget.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 24, 2015 9:33
Vote:

The SiteSeeker server is stand-alone software that is installed by EPiServer. You need to have admin access to add an index, if you have your own server you can add as many as you like but they all count against the indexed documents limit on the subscription.

If you have a subscription where you're not running your own server it might be possible to get a test index added by EPiServer. Contact support and check.

The stuff you install via Nuget are just the "client" libraries.

Aug 24, 2015 16:41
Vote:

Johan are right, this is only possible if you have the imprecise version.

this is why we have moved to EPiServer Find where you can have unlimited number of developers index and everything get indexed directly.

Aug 24, 2015 20:31
Vote:

Thanks for the replies! If I understand this correctly then it means you need to pay for a subscription for SiteSeeker even for development purposes, is it so?  I've worked with SiteSeeker before but I've never set it up on the development server from scratch, so I thought it worked like EPiServer, which means you use some kind of demo or partner developer license and then it's the final client that pays for a license for the site to go live. 

Johan you say EPiServer installs SiteSeeker server and maybe even a test index? I get confused now, is it SiteSeeker or EPiServer support I should contact? I don't think we have a subscription here at the company that I know of so I believe that's the first thing I should fix.

Aug 25, 2015 8:41
Vote:

EPiServer bought Euroling - the company that built SiteSeeker - two years ago:
http://www.episerver.com/about-us/pressroom/pressreleases/EPiServer-Acquires-On-Site-Search-Provider-Euroling-/

As a client or partner you've never been allowed to touch the SiteSeeker server software directly. It's been sold as a service. You could get a physical or virtual server that you hosted on your network but it was managed remotely by Euroling => now EPiServer.

If you're starting a new search setup you should choose EPiServer Find over SiteSeeker since it's being developed actively. SiteSeeker is pretty dead, I think they only fix bugs and do support for existing customers. Not even sure if the set it up for new clients?

Note that when you're moving from a SiteSeeker to Find there are discounts available.

Aug 25, 2015 9:05
Vote:

Thanks for info Johan.  Then I'll contact EPiServer and see what options they give me. 

I would not use SiteSeeker in a new project either, but in this case it's not us who own this project which already uses SiteSeeker and we can't change search engine unfortuntately so I have to set it up and get it to work.

Have a nice day!

Aug 25, 2015 10:51
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.