Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Single sign on advice...multiple sites on same machine with its own applicationpool

Vote:

Hello!

We are about to set up 2-3 sites with different functionality but we want to share login (Single Sign On SSO) and I'm curious if this is possible without haveing a "state server"... the sites will share domain/subdomain as:

1) www.mydomain.com

2) x.mydomain.com

3) y.mydomain.com

For the moment every site will have its own applicationpool and all of the 2-3 sites will be on the same machine. If this was not the case we had to have a "state server". I have googled this subject and people say that it should be possible to share login if the sites is on the same machine (different application pool) if they are shareing same machinekey and have same domain/subdomain because dotnet use cookies for auth etc...

We havent implemented the solution yet we are just discussing potential solutions.... so I a couple of questions.

1) Is this possible, has anyone experience of this...pros/cons?

2) As I know there is no way to share session variables or is there a "magical solution" for this?

3) Is there a better way to implement SSO?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2012 11:49
Vote:

Hi

Take a look at this article: Understanding Single Sign-On in ASP.NET 2.0.

Hope this helps.

Frederik

Jan 15, 2012 14:10
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.