Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServer InitializationException

Vote:

I seem to have run into to a wall that I can't get passed. I have moved an Episite to IIS 7.5 from IIS 6 and also upgraded from cms 5 to 6. I now get the following exception when I start it. I am certain that there is something missing in my web.config but I can't for the * of it figure out what it is. All help is greatly appreciated.

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'EPiServer.Security.PrincipalInfo' threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EPiServer.Configuration.Settings.get_Instance()
at EPiServer.UriSupport.get_InternalUIUrl()
at EPiServer.UriSupport.get_UIUrl()
at EPiServer.UriSupport.ResolveUrlFromUIBySettings(String path)
at EPiServer.Security.PrincipalInfo..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at EPiServer.Security.PrincipalInfo.get_CurrentPrincipal()
at EPiServer.Security.VirtualRolePrincipal.VirtualRolePrincipal_PostAuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Aug 08, 2011 13:22
Vote:

Ensure that you have migrated your web.config file correctly. On the assumption that your applicaiton pool is running in Integrated managed pipeline mode then ensure that the <httpModules> section is correct.

If you change your application pool managed pipeline mode to Classic and all works OK then you have a problem with your web.config file.

Aug 08, 2011 13:55
Vote:

Ps a good place to start when checking web.config is for the existence of <add name="InitializationModule" type="EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule, EPiServer" /> in the <httpModules> section.

Aug 08, 2011 13:56
Vote:

Try reinstalling IIS and see if you still get the problem.

Aug 08, 2011 16:00
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.