Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Cannot get Statistics functionality to work

Vote:

I'm trying to configure the Statistics service, but not having much luck.  Nothing is logging, and the Statistics tab gives me:

"The log service is not configured with a database. Saved history will not be shown."

I have confirmed that the StatisticsUdpAppender is enabled in the log file.  It's logging to UDP 7071 on localhost.  I have confirmed that the log service is also configured to 7071, and Netstat tells me something is bound to that port.

The log service config file has a valid connection string -- it's the same one from the site, so I know it works.

Where do I go from here?

Jul 13, 2011 18:29
Vote:

AFAIK you should still see some statistics even though you haven't configured the database to store it. 

Might it be some weird error in the episerverlog.config file? See if you can configure it to do a normal log.

Jul 13, 2011 21:38
Vote:

Logging in general works fine.  I have a file logger for the Warn level which correctly appends to a text file.

Jul 13, 2011 22:03
Vote:

Me and Dean had a troubleshoot session and found out this:

<EPiServer:LogGenerator runat="server" ID="PixelImg" />  was missing from the master page.

No C:\temp directory was present, this is a must as it is there we store the statistics file. 

The connectionstring in the C:\Program Files\EPiServer\Shared\Services\Log Service was incorrect. 

Edited, Jul 20, 2011 17:39
Vote:

Yeah, just to follow up on Tobias's comment.  I had at least three show-stopping problems:

1. The connection string in the log config was wrong.  (Technically, it was right, but for some reason wouldn't connect to the machine name.  Changing it to localhost worked.)

2. There was no C:\Temp directory.  Starting the Log Service in debug mode from the console revealed this.  This is configurable in the config file, if you want the files to go somewhere else.

3. I didn't have the LogGenerator server control on the page.

Once I fixed all this, I was in business.  (Also: Tobias rules.  That is all.)

Jul 20, 2011 18:29
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.