Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Using Forms based Auth instead of Windows based

Vote:

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to Episerver and evaluating the product for the first time. It seems that out-of-the-box default installation utilises Windows based authentication to log into the CMS. I have worked with a few other .NET CMS systems, and non seem to operate this way.

I have found posts on enabling SQLAuthProviders for the native .NET membership, but the question I have is how to create an Administrator account instead of the Windows Auth account? In essence what I'm trying to achieve is not having a windows account as the global administrator, but instead have it as a .NET membership created account.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Feb 16, 2011 6:55
Vote:

The out of  box have these elements in web.config

<membership defaultProvider="WindowsMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="10">

<add name="MultiplexingMembershipProvider" type="EPiServer.Security.MultiplexingMembershipProvider, EPiServer" provider1="SqlServerMembershipProvider" provider2="WindowsMembershipProvider"/>

<add name="WindowsMembershipProvider" type="EPiServer.Security.WindowsMembershipProvider, EPiServer" deletePrefix="BUILTIN\" searchByEmail="true"/>

<add name="SqlServerMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="EPiServerDB" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" applicationName="EPiServerSample" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>

</membership>

The multiplexing provider will give you both users from a database and the windows users. So change pvoider like this

<membership defaultProvider="MultiplexingMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="10">

Feb 16, 2011 8:14
Vote:

The default setup is still forms based but uses the windows membership and role providers. Change to use the sql providers, and then open the website project in Visual Studio and use the ASP.NET Website administration tool (hammer-globe icon in solution explorer) to create the Administrators group and add a user to it.

Another way is to (temporarily!) set the access for the edit/admin locations in web.config to be available to anonymous users, then navigate to admin mode and use the EPiServer group/user editors to creat the accounts.

Feb 16, 2011 8:20
Vote:

You beat me Anders :) But he still has to create an sql group and user.

BTW, congratulations Mr Esteemed Citizen (no 2 ;) )

Feb 16, 2011 8:22
Vote:

Thanks Magnus :)

Feb 16, 2011 9:03
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.