Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Required fields and copying pages

Vote:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with my latest quandry!

We're having a bit of a problem copying pages that have required fields using the right-click context.

Setting any field as required and then trying to copy the page causes an error saying "Page could not be loaded" citing the reason that my required field cannot be empty.

The error only takes up the frame where the copy button is though, and not the whole window. I can provide a screenshot if necessary.

Is there any way we can avoid this, as we need required fields, but we also need to allow people to copy pages!

Please let me know if you require any more information to diagnose what might be happening!

Thanks very much for any help in advance,

Karl. 

Aug 28, 2009 17:23
Vote:

What version are you using?

I have also experienced this behaviour previously, only with XHTML fields, but not with the latest version (R2 SP2). I'm guessing it was fixed with issue #22567 (http://world.episerver.com/bugs).

Aug 31, 2009 7:24
Vote:

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for getting back to me! :-)

It looks like that sort of bug, but installing R2 SP2 has made no difference. I believe I was using that before I installed it again believing it was a new version (Ooops!).

http://www.yucca.co.uk/uploads/episerver_error.jpg

That's what the error looks like, and this is the error message:

Page could not be loaded
The link you specified does not work. This may either be the result of temporary maintenance or an incorrect link.

Detailed error information (authorized by permissions to functions)

Exception Details: EPiServer.Core.EPiServerException: Can't copy page, because: "Heading" cannot be empty.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[EPiServerException: Can't copy page, because: "Heading" cannot be empty.]
EPiServer.LocalPageProvider.Copy(PageReference pageLink, PageReference destinationLink, Boolean publishOnDestination, Boolean allowThreading) +350
EPiServer.DataFactory.Copy(PageReference pageLink, PageReference destinationLink, AccessLevel requiredSourceAccess, AccessLevel requiredDestinationAccess, Boolean publishOnDestination, Boolean allowThreading) +247
EPiServer.DataFactory.Copy(PageReference pageLink, PageReference destinationLink, Boolean allowThreading) +76
EPiServer.UI.Edit.CommandActions.PasteCommandTool_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +715
EPiServer.UI.WebControls.ToolButton.OnClick(EventArgs e) +107
EPiServer.UI.WebControls.ToolButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +135
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +175
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Sep 01, 2009 10:52
Vote:

Hi,

Is there any more information that might help to solve the problem?

The "Heading" field in the error message refers to a field I created myself and made a required field within the template.

Cheers,

Karl. 

Sep 02, 2009 11:15
Vote:

I'm not able to recreate the issue in any of my solutions after upgrade. Does the page you're trying to copy have a Heading set or is it empty?
Sep 02, 2009 12:27
Vote:

The page I'm trying to copy has a heading property that's specified by me in the pagetype. That field is checked to be required.

The page I'm trying to copy does have a heading set.

:-\

Thanks for looking into this for me Henrik, I'm truly stuck!

Cheers,

Karl. 

Sep 02, 2009 12:29
Vote:

Does anybody have any ideas?

This is now a bit scary, because it won't let me import packages that involve those pages. The error of Exception: "Heading" cannot be empty[] is also occurring when trying to deploy the site!

Sep 07, 2009 14:25
Vote:

When I say deploy, I meant import the package containing the pages that have that stuff in.
Sep 07, 2009 14:46
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.