Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Localization of Categories

Vote:

Is there any way to localize Categories? e.g. a category has a different "display name" in different languages? Since Categories are based upon ID's it shouldn't be impossible...
Aug 24, 2006 14:54
Vote:

Not out of the box, but why not get it from a xml file instead. Give each category a name that includes the id, and you should have no trouble looking it up using one of the Translate methods. /Steve
Aug 24, 2006 15:33
Vote:

Yes, I've already thought of that workaround and it seems viable. However I was hoping for a "non workaround" way to do it. Guess I can post a request in the Feature Request forum in stead :) Thanks!
Aug 24, 2006 15:46
Vote:

It's a problem with the translation XML-file. Since categories is considered content in the system, the administrator that manages the categories need a GUI to translate the categoryname so it would be nice to have it built in to the existing GUI. Something for the EPiCode, Steve? /HAXEN
Sep 07, 2006 15:06
Vote:

Absolutely, if you wanna build it ;-) I might be stepping on some toes here, but I'd rather see the categories removed, at least as a built-in property on the page. Right now, I've got an empty tab on all my pages in edit mode. No categories are defined, but the tab is still there. I've set it to show only for administrators, that helps, but I want it to go away. Ok, I know I can hack it out of there with some fancy control traversion, but I'd rather not. I'll buy a beer to the one that proposes the best solution to getting rid of the category tab. If someone points out some setting for doing this, that I've missed, well... I'll buy you two beers :-) /Steve
Sep 07, 2006 17:19
Vote:

Oh my Steve! Categories is a powerful tool, we use it alot. At one customer there are more than 400 categories! It's an excelent tool to get associated make lists across the sites stored structure, but as you must have notised EPi doesn't expect more than 20 something categories we have to do alot of modifiactions to the built in GUI and even more changes to get some performance. Well about Localization of categories. There is support for using the language files. /categories/category[@name='{CategoryName}']/description Where CategoryName in Admin should rather be labeled SystemName in my opinion. /HAXEN
Sep 27, 2006 9:46
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.