Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Help text in edit mode

Vote:

I would need a chunk of text describing what to enter in a certain property than what is available by default. How would you recommend I do this? Thank you
May 29, 2006 10:40
Vote:

Hello Henrik, do you require considerably MORE text to be displayed than what is available by default, and in a different format? Or is the default behaviour of placing the description in a title/tooltip sufficient? Provided the tooltip solution will work for you, there are two possible solutions to your problem: 1) The help text displayed in the tooltip for each property is entered in each property definition for a page type (or dynamic properties). Open Admin mode, go to the PageType tab, select your page type, and click on the property you want to edit. Enter text into the "Help Text" field. 2) However, the above solution will only work for properties that are not language handled. If the property you want to modify is handled by the language files (as all the properties in the EPiServer Sample web site are), you will need to make the modification there - either by adding a new xml file in the Lang folder with your custom strings, or to change the ones you need in the existing files. For instance, the following snippet is part of the lang/templateLanguageEN.xml file: Display content from page Specify the page from which the index will start If neither of the two suggestions above solve your problem, please provide further information on your specific needs.
May 29, 2006 15:20
Vote:

Thanks! What I was looking to do though was to have the instructions "static" on the page (not a tooltip).. I have a LongString that is formatted using String.Format() later on, so the user needs to be aware that they need to put {0} etc in the text, and what they mean.
May 29, 2006 15:34
Vote:

You can make a custom property inherting from PropertyLongString and then add your own literals with descriptions. Check the SDK for samples of custom properties.
May 29, 2006 16:08
Vote:

Or, extend the PropertyDivider sample found here: http://www.episerver.com/en/EPiServer_Knowledge_Center/developerforum/2628/2636/2638/ You could add more information to the property, like for an example a string fetched from a language xml file, based on the name of the page type and the name of the property. With that solution, you could provide quite detailed explanations. It would even be globalized, as it gets its text from the language files. Incidently, if you look at the screenshot, you can see the wysiwyg editor has an extra line of text ("Help us improve..."), which is what Ulrik suggests. /Steve
May 29, 2006 18:15
Vote:

Thanks for all your feedback! If my timeframe allows it, I'll implement a language-sensitive custom property.
May 30, 2006 9:34
Vote:

A question related to custom properties; some time ago, I created a property called LongStringHidden, which - as the name implies - is a LongString that is not editable (or viewable) by the editor. It works fine, except that the edit caption ("Redigeringsrubik", whatever it's called in English) still shows up, and I can't set it to a blank string, or any whitespace. Is there a way to solve this?
Jun 01, 2006 10:55
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.