Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Load balancing question

Vote:

Hi, haven't tested it, but are curious what will happen in this senario: I have 2 servers that runs the same EPiServer web application that connects to the same database. The way that the load balancing is setup is that someone from the outside will go though a virtual IP address and will then be directed to server 1 or server 2. A news page is cached on both servers after being viewed (therefore the results will not be fetch from the database again depending on the cache rules). If a content user updates (edit mode) the news page on server 1, will someone (a visitor) on server 2 see the same changes (because in the cache has been changed in server 1, but not in server2) ?? Thanks! Danie
Nov 29, 2006 14:10
Vote:

Hi. When dealing with episerver and load balancing, you have to set the sites up in a special way. See separate white paper on this in the Knowledge Center Library. Whenever a page is being saved, it is also emptied from the cache (on the server the content user is sessioned on). Then, by using the internal web services in episerver, is the cache on the other server invalidated, hence emptied. That way, server 2 will also fetch the new version of the page from the database. Hope this helps. Frank :)
Nov 29, 2006 16:04
Vote:

Hi, Do you think the same will apply for images in the upload directory. E.g. if I upload a file on machine A, must I also upload it on machine B? I haven't tried setting up load balancing yet (still need to find 2x 2003 servers). I've read the white paper on loadbalancing. What happens when you create a slave site? Is the slave site just being created from the configuration file (and/or must the code exist on both machines) Thanks! Danie
Dec 19, 2006 8:10
Vote:

The best way to handle upload files, is to have a third server for these. If this is not possible (due to lack of monetas), you need to use a replication tool. I haven't tested this (since we are using a third server), but there's one mentioned in the white papers somewhere... When dealing with web files, you need to have a copy on each of the web servers. You could problably replicate these also, but I've transferred to all servers manually when dealt with updates. Once you have a copy on each server, and all of them is pointing to the same DB, then it should be ok. Finally you need to set up the Cache invalidation between the servers, so that when an editor publishes a page on one of the servers, the cache version of that page is emptied on not just one server, but all servers. Remember that web.config is different on each server, so you cannot replicate or just copy this file. Among others, the EPsCacheListeners have to be set differently, and on the slave machine, you need to set EPsDisableScheduler to true. Frank :)
Dec 19, 2006 10:52
Vote:

You have to make sure all your upload directories have the same files. This can be solved in several ways (see the tech notes for more information). The concept of master/slave is for licenses only. All your servers must be real working installations. You need to be able to surf to each one of the servers, based on ip or host name, and they should give you the same result. /Steve
Dec 19, 2006 11:31
Vote:

everyone keeps referencing a white paper on load balancing, but I have not been able to find it.  Can you please post a link to it so that I can read it.

thanks you

May 15, 2012 17:31
Vote:

Maria, I think they are talking about the tech notes that exists in documentation (then select CMS).

There you can find Event management Sytem and how to set up the VPP in a load balanced environment

May 16, 2012 8:04
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.