Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Troubles with upgrading from 7.1 to 8 (with commerce) and VPP files

Vote:

I'm in the process of figuring out the best way of migrating an EPiServer 7.1 website (with Commerce) to EPiServer 8 (using the new Nuget packages to get a correctly working Commerce Manager).
For the upgrade I do the following:
- Copy and restore production databases to a local computer and get a local version of the website running.
- Upgrade to 7.5 using the Deployment Center (I couldn't start the website at this point, giving me multiple errors).
- Link the database to the new 8.0 solution, run it and then run upgrade script using Nuget.

At this stage I have a working 8.0 site, with all the content, except all the images, the infamous VPP files.
However running the VPP Migration tool fails at this point (yes, I did add the 'virtualPathProviders' in EPiServer.Framework) it will fail with the following message:

Method not found: 'EPiServer.Core.ILanguageSelector EPiServer.Core.NullLanguageSelector.get_Instance()'.

at VppMigrationTool.Util.VppConverter.CreateSubFolder[T](ContentReference parentReference, String folderName, AccessControlList accessControlList, Guid ownerGuid)

at VppMigrationTool.Util.VppConverter.<>c__DisplayClass11.<>c__DisplayClass13.b__10() in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Util\VppConverter.cs:line 181

at VppMigrationTool.Util.VppConverter.ExecuteWithHandleException(VirtualPathUnifiedProvider provider, Action a) in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Util\VppConverter.cs:line 226

Directories: 1

Files: 0

ContentFolders: 0

FileContent: 0

Blobs: 0

My guess is that it will only work on version 7.5. Is there a version that will run on 8.0 or do I need to run the tool on the 7.5 stage?
If yes, is a working website required at this stage or can the tool run with only a valid connection the the VPP files and Database?

Mar 12, 2015 14:53
Vote:

Hi,

I believe it would work with 7.5+ site, but not 8.0 due to breaking changes.

And it requires a working site because media types must be loaded for proper conversion.

Regards.

/Q

Mar 12, 2015 15:13
Vote:

<p>Thank you for the quick response.</p> <p>What I do now is that I use multiple websites, one for each update stage:&nbsp;</p> <p>- The first solution/website is the original 7.1 version, I use that to upgrade the databases to 7.5 using the Deployement center.</p> <p>- Second is a&nbsp;7.5 version for my website, but I removed everything (all controllers, views, etc)&nbsp;except the required Media Types. This gave me a 'working' site I can use to import the VPP files.</p> <p>- Third is my newly created CMS 8 solution, with all the code copied from the 7.1 solution. Attach the database and use nuget functions to update the database to the latest version.</p> <p></p> <p>This now seems to give me a working 8.0 CMS+Commerce environment.</p> <p></p>
Mar 13, 2015 11:56
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.