Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

'Default membership provider must be specified' error when creating an account

Vote:

I've configured my Commerce site to use Asp.NET Identity and it all seems to be OK: I can create contacts, organizations etc and view all other Commerce content OK.

However, if I create a contact and then choose 'Create account' for the contact the 'Create Account' dialog appears correctly but when I fill in the detilas and click 'OK',

I get the following error: 

Server Error in '/' Application.

Default Membership Provider must be specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: Default Membership Provider must be specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ProviderException: Default Membership Provider must be specified.]
   System.Web.Security.Membership.Initialize() +534
   Mediachase.Commerce.Security.SecurityContext.ValidateMembershipUserPassword(String password) +17
   Mediachase.Commerce.Manager.Apps.Customer.Modules.MembershipAccountEdit.UserPassword_ServerValidate(Object source, ServerValidateEventArgs args) +66
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator.OnServerValidate(String value) +173
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.Validate() +134
   System.Web.UI.Page.Validate() +200
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +111
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1890

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.8.4001.0

I've seen this error mentioned in the forums in connection with the login page, but not with this dialog - any ideas anyone?

Sep 19, 2019 18:17
Vote:

Please share below details from web.config from both CMS and Commerce projects

<membership>

<roleManager>

Or just try following (if not doing already)

<membership>
      <providers>
        <clear />
      </providers>
    </membership>
 <roleManager enabled="false">
      <providers>
        <clear />
      </providers>
    </roleManager>
Oct 05, 2019 7:24
Vote:

Hi Praful, I've already got the providers configured as you show above, and I've looked at the forum post you mentioned.

I actually raised the issue with developer support - they could reproduce the issue using the Quicksilver Commerce project, but closed the bug with the following comment: 

Full support for AspNetIdentity in CM can be expensive. We can probably close this as won't fix

Our Commerce solution probably won't require this feature, so we'll disable the menu option via CSS, but it would be nce if it was working...

Oct 07, 2019 9:43
Vote:

I get you, and I agree that it would be nice to be working as well. however consider the priority and resources, and the fact that you have found a workaround for the problem, we will move on from the issue. Everything has a opportunity cost, and by fixing that issue we will miss the chance to add new things or make things faster. 

So I'm glad that you understand ...

Oct 07, 2019 10:20
Vote:

Hi,

Is this issue still listed as won't fix?

We are also using Asp.NET Identity and have the same exact issue as described. We are building a B2B site behind login and it could be nice if the administrators could create new users entirely inside Commerce Manager by creating a Contact and afterwards adding an Accont to the Contact.

As I see it the workaround evolves the following steps.

1. While logged in as an Administrator. Create the user in CMS-Admin.
  2. Logout and login with the new user, because the Contact in Commerce Manager is created when the user first login.
  3. Login as Administrator again and go to Commerce Manager where the Contact has been created and can be enriched.

Are there better ways this could be achived, that makes it more straightforward for the Administrator?

Dec 13, 2019 12:40
Vote:

As Rasmus wrote, you can manage the user and contacts separately.

But to make the account panel work with ASP.Net Identity, I recently made a fix to the contact screen. I wrote about it here.

Jan 30, 2020 18:25
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.