Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Install fails at "Mediachase.EcfConfiguration.EcfInstallForm.SetupDB()"

Vote:

ENVIRONMENT: Commerce 1.0 SP1, Win 7, SQL Server 2005 Express

Commerce installation fails every time at step 4 (set up database). Stacktrace:

--

c:\<mediachasetemporaryunzipdir>\deploymentpackage\sqlscripts\helpers\set dbAdmin=dbAdminCommerce

at Mediachase.EcfConfiguration.EcfInstallForm.SetupDB() 

(there is more to the stacktrace description, but the MediaChase window does not let me see it all, and I cannot copy the text with my cursor..)

--

It seems related to the admin user I created for use with Commerce. From the installation instructions:

"Creating an SQL login. (...) - Enter a name for the new login (admin for example), give the user all roles and permissions."

I set the roles "public" and "sysadmin" under the Server Roles tab, but where else should I set "all roles and permissions"?

Sep 16, 2010 14:24
Vote:

The error described above ocurrs when I use SQL Authentication for the Database Owner. Using Windows Authentication instead seems to work for me.

Sep 16, 2010 15:32
Vote:

It's recommended that you use SQL Authentication for both the Database Owner and the SQL Admin.

In regards to which roles and permissions the account needs, just select the two roles Public and sysadmin.

Edited, Sep 22, 2010 9:17
Vote:

I had a similiar problem when setting up the database locally even though I had set up a SQL Admin user as described. 

I used sa as the SQL admin and things set up fine for me.

Sep 22, 2010 11:25
Vote:

David, did you use SQL Server 2008? (I now see that the eCommerce system requirements lists 2008 as minimum).

However, I experience the same error on both 2005 and 2008. Feels like I'm going in circles here :-)

I have tried having the sites locally and using an SQL Server 2008 installation on another machine in my domain, but no go. Is this not possible/not recommended?

Edited, Sep 22, 2010 13:10
Vote:

Yes, I used named SQL 2008 instance. I did explicitly name my instance rather than use the ".\SQL2008" notation as it was recommended in the instructions.

As I mentioned earlier the first attempt to install failed when using a SQL admin user I set up for the purpose. So I completely started again, new EPiServer instance, databases etc. After using the sa user all worked fine.

Good luck - its a complicated beast and I'd be interested to hear if you get it installed :)! 

Sep 22, 2010 13:17
Vote:

So you have already tried installing fresh on a SQL 2008 server and you get the same error? That's very strange!

How do you create your database owner? In the installation or manually?

Sep 22, 2010 13:18
Vote:

Seems to work if I create both the database owner account AND the SQL login before starting the eCommerce installation.

Note that I got this working on an SQL Server 2005 Express installation. Which part of this framework require 2008?

Sep 22, 2010 15:46
Vote:

<p>Paul smith has made a clarifying post about this issue here:&nbsp;</p> <p><a href="/Blogs/Paul-Smith/Dates1/2010/9/EPiServer-Commerce-Installer/">http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Paul-Smith/Dates1/2010/9/EPiServer-Commerce-Installer/</a></p>
Edited, Sep 27, 2010 8:55
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.