Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Custom Model within IList displays [object, object] in UI.

Vote:

I am in the process of creating a new block and I have the following models:

public class ProductSelector 
    {

[Display(Name = "Questions", GroupName = "Questions & Answers", Order = 1)]
        [EditorDescriptor(EditorDescriptorType = typeof(CollectionEditorDescriptor<ProductSelectorQuestion>))]
        [CultureSpecific]
        public virtual IList<ProductSelectorQuestion> Questions { get; set; }

}

public class ProductSelectorQuestion
    {
        [Display( Name = "Question",  Description = "Question to appear in the selector.",     Order = 1)]
        [CultureSpecific]
        [JsonProperty]
        [JsonConverter(typeof(string))]

public virtual string Question { get; set; }

[Display(Name = "Answers", Order = 2)]
        [EditorDescriptor(EditorDescriptorType = typeof(CollectionEditorDescriptor<ProductSelectorAnswer>))]
        [CultureSpecific]
        public virtual IList<ProductSelectorAnswer> Answers { get; set; }

}

public class ProductSelectorAnswer
    {
        [Display(Name = "Answer", Order = 1)]
        [CultureSpecific]
        [JsonProperty]
        [JsonConverter(typeof(string))]

public virtual string Answer { get; set; }

}

[PropertyDefinitionTypePlugIn]
    public class ProductSelectorAnswerListProperty : PropertyListBase<ProductSelectorAnswer> { }

[PropertyDefinitionTypePlugIn]
    public class ProductSelectorQuestionListProperty : PropertyListBase<ProductSelectorQuestion> { }

When I populate the ProductSelector class it allows me to enter all the data fine but in the display I see the following:

Question                                   Answer

Do you like this?                      [Object, object], [Object,Object]

Instead of:

Question                                   Answer

Do you like this?                    Yes, No

I don't really understand how to change this but guessing its something to do with the propertyDefinitionType. Can someone help please as the info Ive found online I'm struggling to understand and apply.

Thanks

Mar 23, 2021 23:37
Vote:

Hi Dan, it looks like EditUI doesn't quite know how to render your complex type. Hence why it's chucking up [object, object] for you.

You could write some dojo to help the editor along to to render the answers property as a single string separated by commas.

or you could refactor your question / answer structure to be a block instead. Only down side to this is the editor will have another step to open the block to view / edit the question and answer properties.

Mar 24, 2021 1:04
Vote:

I tried the following:

define([
        "dojo/_base/array",
        "dojo/_base/declare",
        "dojo/_base/lang",
        "epi-cms/contentediting/editors/CollectionEditor"
    ],
    function (
        array,
        declare,
        lang,
        CollectionEditor
    ) {
        return declare([CollectionEditor], {
            _getGridDefinition: function () {
                var result = this.inherited(arguments);
                console.log('db');
                // Apply custom formatting to the mySecondProps property here
                // Note the fact that property names are converted to camel case
                result.Answers.formatter = function (values) {
                    return values.map(x => x.Answer).join('<br/>');
                };
                return result;
            },
        });
    });

But when I try and add the block now It doesn't render the table at all. I added this to the model:

[Display(Name = "Questions", GroupName = "Questions & Answers", Order = 2)]
        [EditorDescriptor(EditorDescriptorType = typeof(CollectionEditorDescriptor<ProductSelectorQuestion>))]
        [CultureSpecific]
        [ClientEditor(ClientEditingClass = "ClientResources/Scripts/Editors/ProductSelectorAnswer.js")]
        public virtual IList<ProductSelectorQuestion> Questions { get; set; }

The "ClientResources/Scripts/Editors/ProductSelectorAnswer.js" us where the script is stored.

Mar 24, 2021 8:37
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.