Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Can EpiServer handle a high load / large amount of content

Vote:

Hi Episerver community,
We are choosing a CMS platform for a big old solution. It's preferable to have site on-premise, not in cloud

Does anyone have experience with building a solution with similar characteristics:

~ 4-20 mln visits a day (3 sites)
~ 4000 requests/sec
~ 6 mln pages of content (search is needed in admin for all pages)

It would be great to hear about real-life examples.

Edited, Jul 21, 2020 10:32
Vote:

It really depends on your type of content, and how often you change them, and if they are personalized. If your content is highly static that would be fairly simple to handle. If it's highly dynamic/personalized, it will be a challenge (generally speaking, not specific to Episerver) 

I assume you mean visits a day = views a day. 20M views a day is totally doable with Episerver CMS

Jul 21, 2020 10:55
ekiv - Jul 21, 2020 10:57
Thank you for the answer. Great. The content itself is mostly static.
Do you know what the experience is for the editors if the number of pages is very big?
For example when searching for a page by title, etc.
Quan Mai - Jul 21, 2020 11:14
Editors are supported by indexed search, and you have several options to choose from. If you go with Find it would be an easy task. Not sure how many is "very big", but we have had customers with a few millions pages and it's working well
ekiv - Jul 21, 2020 11:18
Well, as I wrote in the question, there are about 6 mln pages and on-premise solution is preferable (so I suppose that means no Episerver Find :( )
Quan Mai - Jul 21, 2020 11:23
You can still host your site on premise and use Find - unless you requires everything to be on premise. What are the reasons that you don't want to use, say, DXP?
ekiv - Aug 05, 2020 7:04
the reason is that it's a company policy. So it seems that Episerver is not a good fit for us since fast search can only be archived using Cloud.
Stefan Holm Olsen - Aug 05, 2020 10:14
If on-premise search is the only deal-breaker for your project, you should evaluate ElasticSearch, Solr and similar search platforms. Although you will miss the nice Find SDK and UI, and integration will be custom and slightly complex.
ekiv - Aug 11, 2020 8:05
Do you have a personal experience with ElasticSearch + Episerver? It seems like Episerver lists only Lucene and Find as supported providers. I can see plugins like Epinova.Elasticsearch, but don't know if they are in use and stable.
Vote:

Episerver can certainly accommodate 4000 concurrent page views, if the solution is architected well.

But the site needs to be load balanced across multiple servers. And one of those servers should probably be dedicated to editing.

Also:

• Make sure that session state is disabled. It severely degrades performance and is rarely needed.
  • Use Episerver Find to search and generate listings, instead of using the normal content loading APIs.
  • Group pages in folders as appropriate, to keep the number of pages per folder down. The CMS UI will be slow if you expand a folder with too many pages.
  • Do as little transformation on content and data as possible.
  • Use a CDN in front of the site, to offload the caching and delivery of assets and frontend builds.
  • Be aware of the performance if the site has a login feature for visitors.
Jul 22, 2020 8:48
ekiv - Aug 11, 2020 8:06
Do you have a personal experience with ElasticSearch + Episerver? It seems like Episerver lists only Lucene and Find as supported providers. I can see plugins like Epinova.Elasticsearch, but don't know if they are in use and stable.
Stefan Holm Olsen - Aug 11, 2020 10:25
You can also have a look at the Vulcan plugin for Episerver + ElasticSearch. Personally, I haven't used ElasticSearch beyond testing.
I worked with a custom Solr integration some years back, and it worked fine, although it was missing a nice editor UI (like the Find UI).
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.