Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Onscreen Editor "Help" sections

Vote:

I've had a few instance where I want to highlight something to the Editor in the "All properties" view, I know there is the 'on mouse over' tool tips that I do use, but I want something obvious and in their face as they are editting the page. Does anyone have any suggests?

Examples where i need it...

1.Editor needs to input a list of words, and I'd like to highlight what the "seperator character" is that I'll be uising to turn the list of text into an array

2. I want something like a 'placeholder' text that I'll later replace with data i.e. #status# becomes "open" or "closed" etc, So I'd like to list those placeholder above the field they are editting

In the examples above, the tooltip option is easy to miss and not obvious enough.

any suggestions?

Jun 05, 2019 16:41
Vote:

Hi Noel,

Alf Nilsson wrote a blog on how to display the tooltip inline which should cover what you need. You can find it here:

https://talk.alfnilsson.se/2014/12/18/display-help-text-in-on-page-editing/

Hope that helps.

Jun 05, 2019 18:42
Vote:

Thanks @Paul, that article was a huge help and has basically done 90% of the job.

I'd really like to make a small tweak though... I'd like to make it optional whether it displays it or just uses the default behavior. Ideal solution I think would be an Attribute on the Model's property that adds a class to the CMS Edit mode such that the bit of CSS in that article looks for that extra class when didplaying on-screen. Right now having everything displayed makes things look a but cluttered (especially the built in EPiServer properties, they ALL have help text).

But anyway, article works great, thank you.

Jun 06, 2019 15:36
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.