Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

EPiServer UIDescriptor VS EditorDescriptor

Vote:

Good day all,

could someone explain or reference explanation what is the difference between UIDescriptor and EditorDescriptor?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2019 14:54
Vote:

I'm not a CMS UI guy, so here's my simple understanding

UIDescriptor is the "template" for the content type, like when you want to hide/show tabs, views etc.

EditorDescriptor is more "for the property" when you can define the widget you want to use for your property. But you can also use it to change how your content is displayed (using IMetadataExtender which it implements). 

Oct 22, 2019 15:12
fuji - Oct 22, 2019 15:29
Is it possible and in general a normal practice to combine them both?
Quan Mai - Oct 22, 2019 15:30
You can, however I'd suggest to let each of them do what they do best
fuji - Oct 22, 2019 15:37
And one more maybe not very relevant question, is it possible to call "onFieldCreated" event inside EditorDescriptor's widget?
Quan Mai - Oct 22, 2019 15:52
I don't think you can. In EditorDescriptor you can define the widget you want to use, or the "settings" of the widget, but that's about it. event handling has to be client side. But I'm not an expert so someone might correct me.
Vote:

Hmm, that clears the picture like what should be used when modifying the UI. Thanks for the direction on that. I am also looking for the same thing, like I would link to modify the link selection model popup to restrict the selection types.

@Quan: Can you provide link to some helping docs on that? I seached but I did't find more relative.

Oct 22, 2019 15:45
Quan Mai - Oct 22, 2019 16:48
Unfortunately all I have is the XML doc and my (little) experience with those two types
Vote:

Oct 22, 2019 18:24
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.