Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

IsInRole for VisitorGroups not working in an ApiController

Vote:

I have added a new custom Visitor Group to EpiServer. To check in a PageController if a user belongs to a visitor group I use the code below:

HttpContext.User.IsInRole("VisitorGroupName", SecurityEntityType.VisitorGroup);

The code above works great, both for users that belongs to that visitor group and to an editor that impersonates that visitor group via the preview function in EpiServer edit mode.

If the page makes an Ajax request to an ApiController I use the code below to check if the user is in a particular visitor group:

User.IsInRole("VisitorGroupName", SecurityEntityType.VisitorGroup);

The code works well for visitors, but for an editor that impersonates this visitor group the code above always return false. It seems like the IsInRole-method ignores if an editor impersonates a visitor group in an ApiController.

This is not what I expect, does anyone run into the same problem?

May 22, 2018 14:21
Vote:

The visitor group impersonation works by appending a query parameter with either "visitorgroupsByName" or "visitorgroupsByID" to the request (values should be a '|' separated string with names or ids of the visitor groups). Note also for the impersonation to take effect the user needs more than just Read access (e.g. Change or Publish) to avoid that any visitor could just add the query parameters.

You can see this in the browser if you preview a page in edit mode with visitor group impersonation by looking at the url for the preview frame. 

May 22, 2018 15:14
Vote:

Thank you Johan, I tried to add the querystring ?visitorgroupsByID=0a77fa7c-b06f-4ef5-bb01-656c90c81410 to the ajax request, but the method IsInRole still returns false.

When I add the querystring to the page request the method IsInRole returns true, so it works on the page request but not on the api request.

May 22, 2018 15:56
Vote:

I looked a bit at the code and there is an MVC attribute VisitorGroupImpersonationAttribute that is added to ContentControllers (the base class for controllers serving content) and that does the impersonation. Now your web api does not inherit that base MVC controller. It does not contain that much code so you could write your own global filter (using Web API and not MVC) and decorate your web api controller with the attribute. The code for the MVC filter attribute looks like:

public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)
        {
            var routeHelper = filterContext.HttpContext.GetService<IContentRouteHelper>();
            if (routeHelper.Content != null)
            {
                filterContext.HttpContext.SetupVisitorGroupImpersonation(routeHelper.Content, AccessLevel.Read);
            }
            base.OnActionExecuting(filterContext);
        }
May 23, 2018 11:50
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.