Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to Display the Block Description attribute in Content Editor

Vote:

In  a specific scenario, I am using a Block as a Page property. I would like to show the description ("My Block Description") of the Block in the content editor so that the editor know what is that block for while adding content for the page.

[SiteContentType(GUID = "e806d73d-3651-4f5e-984c-11b648b31f9a", DisplayName = "My Block Title", Description = "My Block Description", AvailableInEditMode = false)]

Apr 27, 2018 12:25
Vote:

I don't believe there's a way to provide a description to a local block.

However, you should be able to update the header in the language file as shown below.  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<languages>
  <language name="English" id="en">
    <contenttypes>
      <icontentdata>
        <properties>
          <newslist>
            <caption>New Header</caption>
          </newslist>
    </contenttypes>
  </language>
</languages>

[Display(
            GroupName = SystemTabNames.Content,
            Order = 305)]
        public virtual PageListBlock NewsList { get; set; }

The second option is to update the group name attribute so it shows up on a separate tab where you can provide a more meaningful tab name.

There's also this: https://gregwiechec.com/2018/04/grouping-properties-using-header/

Apr 27, 2018 18:44
Vote:

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but I've written a blog post about how to display a help text (heading + description) wherever you want in edit mode. It could be at the very top of a tab, or in between propertyes. It could serve the same purpose, and maybe you can make use of something similar.

http://gulla.net/episerver-help-texts-improved/

Edited, Apr 27, 2018 21:40
Vote:

Thanks Aniket and Tomas for replying to my query.

Tomas, your approach may help if I move the block to the top (as the first item) in the tab. The primamry objective is to provide some overal instruction while filling in the Block.

May 02, 2018 17:05
Vote:

The help text in my approach can by placed anywhere. It does not have to be at the top of the tab like in my screenshot.

Edited, May 02, 2018 22:20
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.