Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Issues with upgrading from 10 to 11 - Could not load type 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule'

Vote:

I know this was listed as one of the breaking changes in the documentation - that 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule' moved to EPiServer.Cms.AspNet, however I keep getting this error when trying to run our site which gives me really nowhere to look:

[TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule' from assembly 'EPiServer, Version=10.10.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7'.] EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.EngineExecute(HostType hostType, Action`1 engineAction) +817 EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType) +140 EPiServer.Global..ctor() +61 ASP.global_asax..ctor() in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\vs\186b312f\932369b3\App_global.asax.0.cs:0

This is what I have done to try to fix this (many times):

Made sure all projects in the solution have the correct version referenced

Checked the bin files to make sure the dll is correct

Checked all config files to make sure the versioning is correct

Reset IIS (even though I'm using IIS Express through Visual Studio)

Deleted temporary .Net files

Ran FusionLog to see what is trying to call 10.10.0.0, but everything was successfully redirecting & calling to the current version

Checked to see what was calling the actual 'EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule' and commented it out

Added (per documentation) & commented out (as above)

[ModuleDependency(typeof(EPiServer.Initialization.CmsCoreInitialization))]

//[ModuleDependency(typeof(EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule))]

I'm running out of ideas/options.  Can anyone send me any more ideas?  Does the code need to completely change for those sections?  Is there documentation of that code change?

Thanks

Susan

Mar 20, 2018 14:58
Vote:

This is most likely one ore more assemblies were not upgraded to reference to Episerver.Cms.Aspnet.dll. i.e. they are still referencing to Episerver.cms.dll. Do you have any 3rd party assemblies? 

Mar 20, 2018 15:07
Vote:

Every project in the solution is referencing Episerver.Cms.Aspnet.dll.  We have a project that used to be 3rd party but looks like it is now included if you download through Nuget: Geta.SEO.Sitemaps - but even that project is referencing the correct aspnet.dll. 

Mar 20, 2018 17:28
Vote:

You could try to open all assemblies in bin folder in a decomiler like dotpeek to see which assembly that is compiled against CMS 10

Mar 22, 2018 14:18
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.