Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Epi on AWS using lots of SQS queues

Vote:

We have been deploying to AWS for a few months now and have noticed that our AWS SQS total has grown to over 1000 different queues.  Most of which look to have been created by Episerver.  I have lots of questions about this, but lets start with:

• How come they aren't being deleted?
  • Can we safely delete these?

Someone on my team has already reached out to support, but aren't getting anywhere, so I thought I would post it out here and see if I get any hits.

Thanks in advance. 

May 25, 2016 22:32
Vote:

Hey Scott,

Did you get to the bottom of this?  

Thanks

Adam

Jun 11, 2016 10:07
Vote:

Hey Scott,

I looked into this some more as I was getting problems too.  It looks like the event class is supposed to delete the queue once the class is disposed but that doesn't appear to happen for me.  I deleted the SQS queues manually and then restarted IIS to recreate the queues that were needed.  I would recommend you delete these as you will probably be paying a lot as every message will be sent to all 1000 queues.  Please note this worked for me and I did this without knowledge from Episerver so take my advice at your own risk:)

Adam

Jun 11, 2016 17:35
Vote:

Hi Adam,

To be honest I have been heads down on our latest release, so I kind of forgot about this.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'm going to dig in this week and see if I can find a solution.  Have you seen any new queues being created since you deleted them all and restarted IIS?

Thanks,

Scott

Jun 13, 2016 15:56
Vote:

Hey,

It seems that if you deploy it properly using Elastic Beanstalk, it doesn't destroy old queues but creates new queues.  If you stop IIS it will delete the old queues.  You should probably check your Amazon SQS bill.  If you have 1000's of them registered in SNS, then you will pay for 1000 messages everytime Episerver posts to the SNS.  From what I see, Episerver posts a lot of messages.

Jun 13, 2016 18:58
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.