Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

404 Redirect Hang

Vote:

We have the following code set up for our redirects

The 404 page is a page sourced from EpiServer. Going to the 404 page works fine however when going to an invalid URL the page loading just hangs constantly and seems to have an impact on other users browsing the site. Does anyone have any ideas why this is, I've done it before but it seems to be behaving weird.

It works fine as a redirect just not an ExecuteURL

Feb 18, 2016 14:28
Vote:

Might be worth checking the handlers you have configured n web.config against other versions you know work. Could be the order is wrong and/or there is some other handler interfering with the execute request that's been generated as a result of the 404.

David

Feb 18, 2016 14:59
Vote:

This is what I use in web.config

<httpErrors errorMode="Custom" existingResponse="Replace">
  <remove statusCode="500" subStatusCode="-1" />
  <error statusCode="500" path="/500.html" responseMode="ExecuteURL" />
  <remove statusCode="404" subStatusCode="-1" />
  <error statusCode="404" path="/404" responseMode="ExecuteURL" />
</httpErrors>
Feb 18, 2016 16:30
Vote:

The only difference is the statusCode removals but this makes no difference to my issue. And David, there's very little modification of the core handlers, apart from a media handler for gated resources but I wouldn't think that would make a difference 

Feb 18, 2016 16:36
Vote:

I would personally make the web.config as default as possible then add each customised element in one by one until you find the problem. My spider senses are tingling about the "media handler for gated resources" - perhaps it treats the ExecuteURL requests from IIS weirdly? Also does the request ever get to your 404 controller or does it hand before executing it? Does it happen on "/i-dont-exist/" and "i-dont-exist.jpg" and "i-dont-exist.aspx" requests too?

You know the solution better than I do so its something to debug through the logs or NewRelic I think :)!

Feb 18, 2016 18:27
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.