Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

What is the best way to move a page within the page tree without breaking external links to the page?

Vote:

I have a customer who uses a map service. The customer stores links to pages in the map service and if the linked pages are moved the links are broken. In earlier releases of Episerver they used links to the page ID to avoid this problem, but they haven't found this feature in Episerver 9. Is the feature still available in Episerver 9? If not, what is the correct way of moving pages without breaking links.

Dec 06, 2016 10:18
Vote:

SEO Manager will solve that for instance. If you move pages in page tree it will automatically create a 301 redirect for that page (and children, languages etc)...

Either that or build it yourself using the page events for moving etc. Pretty complex to get it right with decent performance though :)

If you are using classic links before however I think you can probably make it work for newer versions of Episerver with webforms by doing like:

protected override void RegisterRoutes(System.Web.Routing.RouteCollection routes)
{
            base.RegisterRoutes(routes);
            routes.Insert(0, ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<ClassicLinkRoute>());
}

I believe that will work in both Episerver 8, 9 and 10. At least the class is present in the dll. Haven't tried it though.

Check out this post for more information

Dec 06, 2016 11:20
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.