Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s) EPiServer.Find.UI.FindInitializationModule

Vote:

Deployed EPiServer 8 site with EPiServer Find to Azure using MSDeploy.

Doesn't work and the only information I can find from Azure is event log data containing the following stack trace:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.CreateNonPublicInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context)
at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext)

Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s)
EPiServer.Find.UI.FindInitializationModule
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.CreateDependencySortedModules(IEnumerable`1 modules)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationEngine.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.Initialize(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Framework.Initialization.InitializationModule.FrameworkInitialization(HostType hostType)
at EPiServer.Global..ctor()
at ASP.global_asax..ctor()

If publish to file system locally, it all works ok.

Also tried switching on some log4net logging, as per following post:

https://swapcode.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/episerver-azure-websites-and-simple-logging-with-log4net/

but failing to generate any log files?

Any help greatly appreciated!

regards,

Danny

Jul 15, 2015 14:09
Vote:

Could you specify your CMS and Find versions?

It looks like the CMS initialization fails when trying to create the graph of initialization module dependencies in order to run initializers in correct order. EPiServer.Find.UI.FindInitializationModule depends on EPiServer.Shell.ShellInitialization and EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule. It looks like one of these 2 initializers or some of their dependency cannot be found by initialization engine.

Please make sure that required assemblies are deployed on Azure site that fails. Compare what you have locally and what is deployed in Azure.

You can also check if you have any EPiServer assemblies in GAC. Your local web application may load some EPiServer assemblies from GAC instead of site /bin folder. In Azure web application loads EPiServer assemblies from /bin folder. May be some assemblies are missing or cannot be loaded.

Also you can check assembly binding redirects in web.config

Jul 17, 2015 10:25
Vote:

The issue might be caused by a wrong log4net verison. Could you, please, check if your log4net version is 1.2.10

Sep 02, 2015 13:13
Vote:

Do you have any other 3rd party lib that requires higher version of log4net lib. And eventually you may be in the situation where you need 2 log4net version running side-by-side in single app?

Sep 03, 2015 11:31
Vote:

I've run into the same issue when setting up a dev. environment on a new machine.

I'm cloning a central Git repository and if I delete the local repo on the old machine and clone it everything works. If I clone the repo to the new machine I get the same error as Danny. We're currently on CMS 8.11 and Find 9.6. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Regards,

Gustav

Oct 28, 2015 16:05
Vote:

EPiServer.Find requires WebAPI please see Mark Everards post :

http://www.markeverard.com/2014/06/26/finding-missing-dependencies-when-installing-new-episerver-find/

Dec 07, 2015 10:56
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.