Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Best practice for SEO and accessibility for new site

Vote:

I'm somewhat new at Episerver and have been tasked with creating a new info site. I would like to make the site SEO- and accessibility-friendly from the start and am looking for some examples of best practices in this area. I've searched through the forums and found single suggestions, but what I'm looking for is if anybody has some documentation on what's good to implement from the get-go.

I know I can validate and test the site for WCAG and SEO afterwards, but I'm looking for code suggestions that will ease this process.

Apr 09, 2015 16:01
Vote:

I can't give you any code samples but the thing is that developing an accessible and SEO friendly website is no different then if you would create a static HTML site. Start from a clean project and add clean semantic HTML just like you are used to do, and then add EPiServer properties for the dynamic stuff.

Good luck!

/Marcus

Apr 09, 2015 22:36
Vote:

The classic SEO feature that almost every project has is to have Title (for use in HTML-HEAD-TITLE) and Heading (for HTML-BODY-H1) string properties that both fallback to PageName when empty.

Edited, Apr 14, 2015 9:30
Vote:

Thanks for your feedback Marcus, and yes, I realize the SEO basics should be applied to any CMS.

Johan, thanks for your valuable suggestion on how to code intelligently. Fallback options are a great idea (especially in those situations where the backend can "correct mistakes" when an editor has forgotten to fill a field, for example).

Apr 14, 2015 16:02
Vote:

Another popular practise is to define an interface, for example:

public interface ISeoWebPage
{
	string GetTitle();

string GetHeading();

string GetKeywords();

string GetDescription();
}

Implement this for a base template/viewmodel class and use in your MasterPage/Layout. Then override on pages that, for example, vary content by querystring values.

Edited, Apr 15, 2015 12:39
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.