Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Http 500 when trying to create new users

Vote:

Hi,

I'm getting the following exception when trying to create a new user in an EPiServer 7.5 site:

EPiServer.Global: 1.2.5 Unhandled exception in ASP.NET
System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EPiServer.UI.Edit.UserGuiSettings.LoadSettings(String userName, EPiServerProfile data)
at EPiServer.UI.Edit.UserMembership.InitializePlugIns(EPiServerProfile persData)
at EPiServer.UI.Edit.UserMembership.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

The same error occurs when trying to access My Settings. 

I've tried to reset my settings as described in blog post by Linus Ekstrom: http://world.episerver.com/blogs/Linus-Ekstrom/Dates/2013/1/Resetting-your-EPiServer-views/

Anyone know what's causing this ?

Feb 17, 2015 21:26
Vote:

Hi Øyvind,

I found one support case that had the same issue. For him the issue started after he upgraded the site to a newer package. Is this the case for you too?

He found out that the modules folder was locked so the files didn't get updated. After making sure the folder wasn't locked he performed the update again (reinstalling the package) and it started to work again.

Hope this helps!

/T

Feb 17, 2015 22:45
Vote:

Hi Toni,

Thanks a lot! That was it! :)

The source was moved beetween source control systems and then upgraded through nuget - so I guess some locks on those files still remained.

Feb 17, 2015 23:14
Vote:

Hi guys,

We also encounter this problem when we upgraded to v7.19.2.0.

It is working on my local pc but not on live site.

Can you give us the details of what you did to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2016 12:29
Vote:

Hi guys,

Its now working. Aside from replacing all the DLLs of live site with the new DLLs, we have deleted the previous "Modules" folder from the old VPP folder, and deleted the ASP.NET temporary files because I guess the site is still fetching from the old Dlls.

Thanks.

Mar 03, 2016 10:22
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.