Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Mirroring media assets blob files to dev environment

Vote:

Hello!

Episerver cms 8.11.

We do have several developer/test environment that i would like to mirror the "/blob" files from Production-server to.

Has anyone done this? how have you solved it?

Is there a way of getting all assets/contentguid from a specific date?

Since im not an expert on Episerver yet, i'm thinking of this solution:

• On blob created / updated, send data (url and disc path) to Azure Service hub. (using BlobStorage.CreatedEvent event in episerver)
  • All environment has its own queue. When the environment is started, an episerver schedual job runs and gets each data from the Azure Service Hub, that gets the asset and saves it to the local disk.
  • Thats it!

Clean? your thoughts?

The local database will still be manual restored from a backupfile when needed, but then the files will be ready.

thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 17, 2015 16:04
Vote:

Why not share the same Azure blob storage, this will in the background do pretty much what you describe here.

You can use Azure blob storage even if you have your site on the local computer, all you have to do is to add the EPIServer.Azure nuget package, create the blob storage and make the settings in web.config.

Or, do you want to have it like a initiation thing, that only happens once?

Nov 17, 2015 22:03
Vote:

Thanks Henrik, I will consider this for our roadmap. Still i need to investigate how to convert all assets from fileblobprovider to Azure Blob Storage. Any hint to how?

Another idea to accomplish the files to be working automaticly on dev environment is to make a custom provider overriding default FileBlobProvider. This custom provider will only be configured on dev environment.

• Overriding GetBlob(id)
  • Check if file exists on disk
  • If not, downloading the file from ProdServer, saving it to disk in blob directory.
  • Serving the file

I will try this out, probably very easy.

Edited, Nov 19, 2015 8:50
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.