Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

External url in shortcut is transformed to classic url

Vote:

I'm trying to create a shortcut to an external url. The url is actually a page in the site itself, but I need to add querystring values to it, so I have to make it an external url.

However, when saving the page, the url is converted to a classic url. 

Steps:

1. Copy the friendly url of a page you want to link to. E.g. "http://localhost:55807/about-us/news-events/events/risk-management-in-complex-projects"

2. Edit a page. Go to the Shortcut property. Choose external url. Paste the friendly url.

3. Save and publish the page.

4. Edit the shortcut property again. The url now looks like this: "/Views/Pages/StandardPageTemplate.aspx?id=21"

Also, when viewing the classic url, the page gives a 404. I've heard of similar bugs, but I'm not sure if this is quite the same scenario?

Any suggestions?

Nov 04, 2014 12:11
Vote:

I got in touch with EPiServer support regarding this.

I was told that this behavior is in fact by design, as edit-mode uses classic links.

I got around it by overriding RegisterRoutes() and adding support for classic links as described here:

protected override void RegisterRoutes(System.Web.Routing.RouteCollection routes)
        {
            base.RegisterRoutes(routes);
            routes.Insert(0, ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<ClassicLinkRoute>());
        }
Nov 12, 2014 12:49
Vote:

(all though internal-URLs used as external URLs are still changed to classic urls in the Shortcut-property, at least the page won't give a 404 error anymore)

Nov 12, 2014 12:51
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.