Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Error upgrading to 7.5

Vote:

Trying to upgrade to 7.5 and getting the following error.

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. The following information may be a subset of the Type/LoaderException information present - inspect with debugger for complete view.
Check assemblies [EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI, Version=1.0.431.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7] and/or types [EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.CultureInfoExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.ExceptionExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.ExtendedMetadataExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.IContentExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.IContentVersionRepositoryExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.SettingsExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.BlockDataConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentAreaConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentDataStoreModelConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentDataStoreModelConverter+PropertiesConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.IContentConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.UrlConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.PlugInArea,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Search.ContentSearchProviderBase`2,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Search.BlockSearchProvider,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Search.ContentSearchProviderConstants,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Components.RecentItems,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Components.Tasks,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Components.PageTreeComponent,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.Components.RecentlyChangedComponent]. Information from LoaderExceptions property [Method 'get_DefaultContext' in type 'EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.CompositeViews.HomeView' from assembly 'EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI, Version=1.0.431.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7' does not have an implementation.].

Could use some directions :)

Jan 08, 2014 11:12
Vote:

Have you run "Upgrade/Disable Add-ons after Product Upgrade" from Deployment center after upgrade?

More info on upgrade is availabe on:

http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Upgrading/EPiServer-CMS/75/Upgrading/

Jan 08, 2014 11:38
Vote:

Was me being stupid. I read about upgrading here: http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Installation-Instructions/Installing-EPiServer-updates/ and thought I only had to patch the dll:s. After using deployment center it worked. However if i go from 7.5.394.2 -> 7.5.409.0 i get following errors:

Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s)
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.ObjectEditing.InternalMetadata.ExpireBlockInitialization
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.ObjectEditing.InternalMetadata.ShortcutBlockInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.BlobRouterInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.CMSDynamicDataStoreInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.CmsDataInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.DynamicContentInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.ParentRestoreInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.SearchInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.VirtualPathProvidersInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.XFormsInitialization
EPiServer.Licensing.LicensingInitialization
EPiServer.Scheduler.SchedulerService
EPiServer.UI.EPiServerUIInitialization
Metamatrix.Standard.Business.Initialization.FilterConfig
Metamatrix.Standard.Business.Initialization.TabsRegistration
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.InitializableModule
EPiServer.Initialization.SaveConfigToDatabaseInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.WebIdentityInitialization
EPiServer.Packaging.PackagingInitialization
EPiServer.Personalization.VisitorGroups.VisitorGroupInitialization
EPiServer.Shell.UI.InitializationModule
EPiServer.Initialization.CmsCoreInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.PlugInInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.ModelSyncInitialization
EPiServer.Initialization.UrlRewriteProviderInitialization
EPiServer.Web.InitializationModule

Jan 09, 2014 8:56
Vote:

Check your assembly redirects in web.config and compare them with a clean test site...

Jan 09, 2014 9:20
Vote:

What do you mean by clean test site? if you mean alloy site then it's only created in 7.5.394.2 so I can't really compare those :)

Jan 09, 2014 9:59
Vote:

Did you use NUGET to upgrade the assemblies? You should have updated assembly redirects for all upgrades assemblies in your web.config file to reflect the upgraded version (7.5.394.2).

Jan 09, 2014 10:08
Vote:

Yes I did use Nuget but I think I solved it now!

What I noticed was that the assembly bindings in web.config wasn't really updating correctly (Im thinking).

For example, this:
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="EPiServer" publicKeyToken="8fe83dea738b45b7" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-7.65535.65535.65535" newVersion="7.5.394.2" />
      </dependentAssembly>

only got changes to this:
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="EPiServer" publicKeyToken="8fe83dea738b45b7" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-7.5.394.2" newVersion="7.5.394.2" />
      </dependentAssembly>

But I thought it was going to change to this instead:

<dependentAssembly>
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-7.5.394.2" newVersion="7.5.409.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>

Also, alot of the dlls which is updated didnt get their assembly binding changed and the dlls weren't being copied to /bin

I then tried to copy the dll:s from the package folder and updated all assembly binding and now i don't get any error.

Tree remaining question though:

1. EPiServer.Search.IndexingService.dll and EPiServer.UI.dll are still version 7.5.394.2. Are they suppose to be that version or is it just that I havn't updated EPiServer.Search?
  2. I still have EPiServer.Scheduler.WKTL.ddl in my bin folder. Im guessing this can be removed since the scheduler dont use windows services anymore. Or?
  3. EPiServer.Blog.ddl, EPiServer.Scheduler.ddl, EPiServer.WebDav.ddl, EPiServer.WebParts.ddl and EPiServer.XmlRpc.ddl are version 7.0.586.24. Are these obsolete dlls or do they need to be updated some other way?
Jan 09, 2014 10:34
Vote:

1. EPiServer.UI is in a separate package (see http://nuget.episerver.com/en/OtherPages/Package/?packageId=EPiServer.CMS.UI). EPiServer Search is probably in http://nuget.episerver.com/en/OtherPages/Package/?packageId=EPiServer.Search.

2. Yes, you should be able to remove this.

3. I think that these have all been removed for 7.5.

Jan 09, 2014 10:41
Vote:

Thank you!

Jan 09, 2014 10:42
Vote:

Nice that you were able to resolve it. If you get the error "Cannot resolve dependencies for the following module(s) " after doing an upgrade it's almost always a problem with the assembly redirects in web.config so I usually steal them from a working site of that version (usually alloy test site). Sometimes it's the wrong dll's in the bin folder as well, so turn on file version column in explorer and compare against what you expect to find there.

Jan 09, 2014 13:24
Vote:

Good to know!

Jan 09, 2014 13:25
Vote:

I have about the same problem as seen in the first post here. I managed to solve it in dev but now when upgrading a site in test I have got stuck on this. Error message:

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. The following information may be a subset of the Type/LoaderException information present - inspect with debugger for complete view.
Check assemblies [EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI, Version=2.1.82.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7] and/or types [EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.CultureInfoExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.ExceptionExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.ExtendedMetadataExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.IContentExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.IContentVersionRepositoryExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Extensions.SettingsExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.BlockDataConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentFragmentViewModel,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentAreaConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentDataStoreModelConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.ContentDataStoreModelConverter+PropertiesConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.IContentConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.Json.UrlConverter,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.ContentTypeExtension,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.RoutingInitializationModule,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.IWorkflowTaskRepository,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.PersonalizedContentAreaExtensions,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.PersonalizationContentControlResolver,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.PersonalizationContentControlResolver+PersonalizedContentRenderer,
EPiServer.Cms.Shell.MoveToPlatform.TemporaryViewEngine]. Information from LoaderExceptions property [Method 'get_DefaultContext' in type 'EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.CompositeViews.HomeView' from assembly 'EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI, Version=2.1.82.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7' does not have an implementation.].

When trying to run "Upgrade/Disable Add-ons after Product Upgrade" I get the following error:

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.5.394.2\Upgrade\System Scripts\Upgrade Add-On Packages.ps1:115 char:53
+ $installedFiles = ($installed | %{$_.FileName}) -j <<<< oin ","
System.Management.Automation.ParentContainsErrorRecordException: You must provide a value expression on the right-hand side of the '-' operator.

Is it possible to manually disable Add-ons? I dont think I have any addons installed except of EPiServers.

I have the same assembly redirects in web.config for dev and test.

The dll EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI.dll is not in the bin-folder? Should it be?

Jan 28, 2014 9:15
Vote:

I cannot upgrade a site from 7 to 7.5 either. I get this error in Deployment center:

At C:\Program Files (x86)\EPiServer\CMS\7.5.394.2\Upgrade\System Scripts\Upgrade Site To 7R2 (SqlServer).ps1:23 char:82
+ $addOnsList = ($addOnsToBeUpdated | %{ if ($_.Title) {$_.Title} else {$_.Id}}) -j <<<< oin "`n"
System.Management.Automation.ParentContainsErrorRecordException: You must provide a value expression on the right-hand side of the '-' operator.

The site is running on Windows Server 2008 SP2. It seems to some problem with addons, but I can't figure out what.

Jan 28, 2014 12:30
Vote:

Finally solved it!

The directory modulesbin must contain the latest assemblies. My build script didn't include this diectory.

Jan 28, 2014 13:02
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.