Don't miss out Virtual Happy Hour this Friday (April 26).

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

VPP migration tool error

Vote:

We need to migrate lots of images from our old site in EPiServer CMS 7.1 to our new site in EPiServer CMS 7.5. When connecting to our old site using the VPP migration tool I encounter an error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at VppMigrationTool.Util.SiteProxy.InitalizeEPiServer(String webConfigPath) in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Util\SiteProxy.cs:line 45
   at VppMigrationTool.Util.SiteProxy.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory) in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Util\SiteProxy.cs:line 129
   at VppMigrationTool.Util.SiteProxy.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
   at VppMigrationTool.Converter.get_RuntimeProxyWrapper() in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Converter.cs:line 52
   at VppMigrationTool.Converter.FillSiteData() in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Converter.cs:line 101

I made sure our old site is running before the VPP migration.

Dec 16, 2013 10:41
Vote:

have you created your media types on in your upgraded site yet?

http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/Upgrading/EPiServer-CMS/75/Migrating-VPP-based-files-to-the-new-media-system/

I just created an image type and generic media type

Dec 16, 2013 12:37
Vote:

Sorry I forgot to migrate the old site first to 7.5 via Deployment Center. Now I encounter a different error message:

Could not load file or assembly 'EPiServer.Cms.Shell.UI, Version=2.1.82.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fe83dea738b45b7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
   at System.UnitySerializationHolder.GetRealObject(StreamingContext context)

at VppMigrationTool.Util.SiteProxy.Initialize(String destinationPath, String virtualDirectory)
   at VppMigrationTool.Converter.get_RuntimeProxyWrapper() in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Converter.cs:line 52
   at VppMigrationTool.Converter.FillSiteData() in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Converter.cs:line 101

--- Inner exception ---

The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at VppMigrationTool.Converter.CurrentDomain_AssemblyResolve(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args) in d:\Builds\132\EPiServerCMS Modules\VppMigrationTool\Sources\C\TFS\VppMigrationTool\Converter.cs:line 40
   at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

Dec 16, 2013 14:18
Vote:

Make sure you have the latest version of the EPiServer UI from the add-on store. 
Optionally, install a fresh alloy site, and copy the files from appdata\modules and appdata\modulesrepository, along with wwwroot\modulesbin

Dec 16, 2013 14:26
Vote:

Hi,

I am also facing the same above issue , while migrating images and files from Episerve 6R2 to Episerver 7.0.586.1

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.at VppMigrationTool.Util.SiteProxy.InitalizeEPiServer(String webConfigPath) in e:\Sotwares\vppmigration-source-code\VPPMigration\VppMigrationTool\Util\SiteProxy.cs:line 45

Kindly suggest 

Oct 14, 2019 16:09
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.