Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

How to handle many items in content tree

Vote:

Hey is there a best practice strategy for handling a section with many records in Episerver.    In this case, we have a grants database where every grant has it's own page.    The issue is there are I think like 2000 records and it becomes cumbersome in the Content tree when in the CMS, I can only search by title and they are sorted by when they were entered.

We are looking to do a redesign so I have a chance to rebuild this.    Before everything was on one level for grants, but I guess I could try and break this up into categories and by year.

Any feedback would be appreciated.    I found an article on this but it's from 2015 so may be dated.   We are doing this on latest Episerver 12.

Aug 19, 2020 18:51
Vote:

2000 pages is not a problem. 2000 pages with the same parent can be a problem. Grouping by year etc is an option.

Have you looked into Content Manager? It could prove useful?
https://world.episerver.com/blogs/bartosz-sekula/dates/2020/4/content-manager---lightweight-editing-ui/

Are the grants used as pages? If not, maybe grants should not be pages...

Is Episerver CMS 12 released already?!

Aug 19, 2020 19:00
Vote:

I don't have an exact number of grants... it's definitely around 2000-3000.

Took a look at the link, the Grid view actually looks helpful.    Thanks!  Will investigate this further.

Sorry I was wrong, the latest Episerver version is 11.14.1.0.    I got that mixed with another CMS project I'm working on.

Aug 19, 2020 19:20
Vote:

Yeah avoid more than around 100 pages below the same node if you can. Add an extra level of folders (by year, subcategory, alpha or similar) to structure the content like Tomas Hensrud Gulla says. Otherwise the gui in edit will get slow and some GetChildren calls in the backend code also starts to take time. The grid view (or the older powerslice tool) can be used to work around this limitation.

Aug 20, 2020 15:01
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.