Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

When are visitor group rules evaluated?

Vote:

We are experimenting with using visitor groups to tailor content to anonymous visitors and visitors who filled out a form and provided an email. We call those Identified visitors. We created a segement to find all the visitors with emails, and based the visitor group on that. When we use it in personalization, it appears there is a delay before it takes effect. I can browse the site in incognito mode to simulate an anonymous user, and I get the anonymous content. I fill out a form, but the content still shows as anonymous. I checked in profile store and in the segment and the visitor shows up there. After about 5-10 minutes it just starts magically working. I assume that visitor group membership is not evaulated on every page load, but on session start and then cached. Is this assumption correct, and do we have any control over that? What we would like is their membership to change immediately after they fill out the form, but fail to find a way to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 30, 2020 13:41
Vote:

Hi Jason

Visitor Groups are always assessed immediately. However segment membership in Visitor Intellegence is cached so can take a couple of minutes before showing up.

David

Oct 30, 2020 16:11
Vote:

Do you know of any other way to determine if a visitor has an email address, without using a segment? The built-in profile rules do not seem to work at all. For example I originally tried creating a profile rule that says "Email contains @" but it never matched. Could not figure out why. The rule operators do not have a way to say "blank" or "not blank" so this was my work around. I created another post that someone suggested segments to accomplish this. Hoping this is not the only way.

https://world.episerver.com/forum/developer-forum/-Episerver-75-CMS/Thread-Container/2020/10/how-to-create-visitor-group-for-visitors-with-an-email-address/

Oct 30, 2020 16:16
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.