Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Best approach to storing large amount of images

Vote:

I have a situation where I need to generate thousands of image files and make them accessible to the end user. I am using a deep zoom component that takes a very high res image and breaks it up into tiles at different zoom levels and displays them to the user in an interactive map. The tool I am using to generate the tiles requires a physical folder to output into. I am wondering what would be the best approach to support this feature, with the constraint that it has to work in the cloud. My first thought was to have the user upload the source image to a media folder, and I use an initialization module to kick off the process of chopping up the image into a set of folders in the same asset folder as the source image. The main issue I am concerned with is how to get the generated images into the media library. The tiling component just needs a target folder and it will do its work, and then I can read that folder's contents to import them all into the media library mirroring that same structure. Where would be a good place to use as a temp folder to output the images into so they can be read? Is this approach viable in a cloud hosting scenario where images are stored in blob storage? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Apr 30, 2019 16:47
Vote:

I would avoid cluttering the media library with these type of files.

Going to blob storage directly doesn't seem like a good fit either.

I would setup another site on an appropriate stack or just doing static serving.

Apr 30, 2019 21:39
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.