Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Modify access level on creating content

Vote:

I'm trying to remove public access to a certain media content on creation. I have tried modifying the access rules both via SetDefaultValues and IContentEvents.CreatingContent, but with no success. This is my current code using SetDefaultValues:

public override void SetDefaultValues(ContentType contentType)
{
    base.SetDefaultValues(contentType);

if (this is IContentSecurable securable)
    {
        var securityDescriptor = securable.GetContentSecurityDescriptor();
        securityDescriptor.IsInherited = false;

var everyone = securityDescriptor.Entries.FirstOrDefault(x => x.EntityType == SecurityEntityType.Role && x.Name == EveryoneRole.RoleName);
        if (everyone != null)
        {
            securityDescriptor.RemoveEntry(everyone);
        }
    }
}

In the code above, I try to remove the inherited access and also entirely remove the rule which allows Everyone to read the content. Nothing seems to get applied though - when I try to view that content in Episerver, it still says that it inherits access rules and it also says the Everyone still has Read access.

I haven't tried changing these rules in the CreatedContent event, but I assume that would require me create a writable clone, do the change and then re-save that content, which just seems excessive.

Dec 02, 2019 13:47
Vote:

Hi,

In addition to above information. The reason your changes are not persisted is because you need to call IContentSecurityRepository explicitly to work with a content's ACL.

Dec 02, 2019 16:52
Andreas J - Dec 17, 2019 9:27
I also experienced that ACL wasn't really set up when SetDefaultValues(...) was called. For example, I could execute securityDescriptor.ToLocal() in the CreatedContent but not in SetDefaultValues(...).
Vote:

Thanks for your answers. I would have liked to use SetDefaultValues in order to keep the code close to its domain, but okay. This was my final solution - used in the CreatedContent event.

var securityDescriptor = (IContentSecurityDescriptor)securable.GetContentSecurityDescriptor().CreateWritableClone();
if (securityDescriptor.IsInherited)
{
    securityDescriptor.ToLocal();
    var everyone = securityDescriptor.Entries.FirstOrDefault(x => x.EntityType == SecurityEntityType.Role && x.Name == EveryoneRole.RoleName);
    if (everyone != null)
    {
        securityDescriptor.RemoveEntry(everyone);
    }

var existingRoles = securityDescriptor.Entries
        .Where(x => x.EntityType == SecurityEntityType.Role)
        .Select(x => x.Name);
    if (!existingRoles.Contains(NewRole))
    {
        var entry = new AccessControlEntry(NewRole, AccessLevel.Read, SecurityEntityType.Role);
        securityDescriptor.AddEntry(entry);
    }

_contentSecurityRepository.Save(e.ContentLink, securityDescriptor, SecuritySaveType.Replace);
}
Dec 17, 2019 9:25
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.