Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Giving non-WebAdmin users access to specific Admin sections

Vote:

Hi,

Is there a way to give non-webadmin users (ig webeditors) access to very specific sections in the Admin part of the EpiServer CMS?

I would like some of my webeditors to be able to give some of my webeditors the means to:

• Start a scheduled job manually
  • Reset a user
  • Convert a page 

One or more of these, WITHOUT getting all other rights that come with the WebAdmin role.

Couldn't find it anywhere.

Thnx,

Koen

Edited, Jan 24, 2019 11:14
Vote:

Hi Koen,

As an example, it ought to be possible to allow editors to access all scheduled jobs by adding the following to your web.config:

<location path="EPiServer/CMS/Admin/DatabaseJob.aspx">
  <system.web>
    <authorization>
      <allow roles="WebEditors, WebAdmins, Administrators" />
      <deny users="*" />
    </authorization>
  </system.web>
</location>

Of course, they still can't access admin mode - so you could add it to the navigation with a menu provider:

[MenuProvider]
public class CmsMenuProvider : IMenuProvider
{
    private readonly IScheduledJobRepository _scheduledJobRepository;

public CmsMenuProvider(IScheduledJobRepository scheduledJobRepository)
    {
        _scheduledJobRepository = scheduledJobRepository;
    }

public IEnumerable<MenuItem> GetMenuItems()
    {
        var emptyWastebasketDescriptor = PlugInDescriptor.LoadAll().FirstOrDefault(p => p.TypeName.Equals(typeof(EmptyWastebasketJob).ToString()));
        var emptyWastebasketJob =  _scheduledJobRepository.List().FirstOrDefault(p => p.TypeName.Equals(typeof(EmptyWastebasketJob).ToString()));

if (emptyWastebasketJob == null || emptyWastebasketDescriptor == null)
        {
            return new List<MenuItem>();
        }

var linkValidationItem = new UrlMenuItem(emptyWastebasketJob.Name, $"/global/cms/emptywastebasket", $"/EPiServer/CMS/Admin/DatabaseJob.aspx?pluginId={emptyWastebasketDescriptor.ID}")
        {
            IsAvailable = request => PrincipalInfo.HasEditAccess
        }; 

return new MenuItem[] { linkValidationItem };
    }
}

Should say, this comes with some obvious security implications (i.e. editors can access all scheduled jobs by guessing IDs) and is just conceptual.

Hopefully it gives you some idea of a potential way to approach this...

Jan 24, 2019 19:45
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.