Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Episerver search - regenerate the index

Vote:

Hi All,

How do you rebuild the Episerver Search index? (Not episerver find)

I've deleted the contents of my index from the file system, and was hoping by manually triggering the Index Content tool, it would rebuild and regenerate all of the files. The tool being this one: /EPiServer/CMS/Admin/IndexContent.aspx

However, it doesn't. When deleting the generated files and running the tool I'm getting some exceptions:

ERROR EPiServer.Search.IndexingService.IndexingService: Reset of index: '' failed. Index not found!

ERROR EPiServer.Search.Internal.RequestHandler: Could not reset index '' for service uri 'http://localhost/IndexingService/IndexingService.svc/reset/?namedindex=&accesskey=local'. Message: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

I need to flush out the index as I'm experiencing some problems with new content not getting indexed...

Thanks.

Jan 08, 2019 15:22
Vote:

As far as I remember it bearing in mind it's a few years you have to delete the index folders, restart IIS/the app pool and then run the tool. I think when restarting it regenerates the folders, it might even trigger the re-index. 

Edited, Jan 08, 2019 16:30
Vote:

This rings a bell...

Haven't worked with Episerver Search in ages, but I remember needing to update the resetUriTemplate to make this work.
Can you try to update web.config and update the <episerver.search> tag to the following

<episerver.search active="true" resetUriTemplate="/reset/?namedIndex=default&amp;accessKey={accesskey}">
Jan 09, 2019 11:11
Vote:

Thanks guys.

I've found that the index doesn't rebuild during runtime - as Scott mentioned, you indeed have to restart the application pool.

I done this and ran the search indexing tool without checking the "Delete old data" checkbox, and this caused the index to fully rebuild. 

Jan 09, 2019 11:17
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.