Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Does Episerver CMS support Asp.Net Core (even targeting .Net framework)?

Vote:

I'm evaluating Episerver and would prefer to use Asp.Net Core (doesn't matter if I'm targeting .Net framework or .Net Standard/Core). Is there any support for this or is there a roadmap for this?

Sep 10, 2018 15:04
Vote:

Hi Mathias.

Episerver's core engine is .NET Standard 2.0 compliant, giving you at least some flexibility to not re-rewrite large portions of your site, like WebAPIs, when Episerver becomes fully .NET Core compatible.

Looking at Episerver CMS 11, packages like EPiServer.Framework and EPiServer.CMS.Core are .NET Standard 2.0 compliant. Packages EPiServer.Framework.AspNet and EPiServer.CMS.AspNet, which contain the ASP.NET specific implementation (e.g. with dependecies to System.Web, System.Web.Mvc and System.Configuration), still requires ASP.NET (not Core).

Full compatability with .NET Core is on the Episerver roadmap, and has been a heavily discussed subject amongst the Episerver product teams and the Episerver Most Valued Professionals. We have though not yet heard any hard date for when the transition should be complete.

Hope this helps you in the evaluation of a great platform.

/Casper Aagaard Rasmussen

Edited, Sep 10, 2018 16:49
Vote:

i'm just wondering how it will look like if you use aspnetcore and you are targeting .net framework..?! those 2 are mutually exclusive things

Sep 11, 2018 7:15
Vote:

Asp.Net Core (originally known as Asp.Net 5) is a totally new version Asp.Net that can reference both .Net Framework and .Net Core. The needed libraries are available for both frameworks and Asp.Net can use them both.

Sep 11, 2018 8:28
Vote:

If I create a Asp.Net Core site and reference packages like EPiServer.CMS.Core, is that enough the load content from Epi db? I.e. if I do routing myself, could I take the url and ask the Epi libraries for content with this path and it would return the page contents from the db?

Sep 11, 2018 8:32
Vote:

unless library falls within ".NET Standard API surface"..

Sep 11, 2018 8:36
Vote:

We are working on ASP.NET Core support at the moment. Check-out https://world.episerver.com/blogs/martin-ottosen/dates/2019/12/asp-net-core-beta-program/ for more information.

Dec 17, 2019 13:22
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.